Hint on Campaign Backstory

Sequoia

Originally posted by Sequoia:

Hello. I remember hearing in the campaign the U.S. Army is coming from the east out of Iraq. Is this confirmed?

Will the USMC be coming through Lebanon? That'll make some interesting terrain differences for the Marine module.

Why go to Lebanon? Syria has a coastline.

They could drive up from Saudi/Jordan. Syria and Jordan have a tense history, their last fighting was in 1970. Another option could be thru Turkey - there is still some hostility there over how the borders were drawn after the Ottoman Empire went belly up and Turkish control of the water resources.

Shorter distance to Damascus. Plus the Backstory could involve the war starting with Syrian forces in Lebanon. Just speculating.

Still, it does seem a bit far fetched, with Syrians already out of Lebanon and the Lebanese probably not needing the presence of yet another foreign military on their soil. Also, the Marines have bad experience with the Lebanese hospitability, and the US just wouldn't need the trouble of 'pacifying' the Hizbollah while fighting in Syria and Iraq.

In any case, the terrain is pretty much the same along the Lebanese-Syrian border and the western Syrian provinces, so game-wise it doesn't matter.

There was a loooong thread on the backstory awhile ago. I think BFC eventually settled on a minimal backstory (no need to mention the political implications of a badly constructed storyline) plus I think they had mentioned coming in from the east, too. I think they had two reasons - First, Iraq was where much of the U.S. Army is at the moment, and second, they haven't got the CMSF game engine set up for amphibious landings (though it might be doable in a future title) This'll probably make a difference with the campaign (tending to fight east-to-west) but what's to stop a 3rd party scenario designer from writing "Our Expeditionary force is approaching the Litani river south of Baalbeck..." ? LOTS of varied terrian in that area!

If it is from the East, then regardless of BFd bsck story you could argue for some more balanced scenarios where the US want so dominant.

An alternative version might have a border flare up with US forces in the area, temporarily outmatched.

I am not sure how much heavyarmour and artillery the US has in Iraq ready to roll at 24hrs notice, and where in the country it i.

It might not be enough in the far west of Iraq to take on a Syrian Armoured Brigade.

You could base it around US in hot persuit or just a pain mistake that saw the two sides at a time of tension stubble in to war.

I could certainly see that happen on the Eastern Iraq border with US infantry in the mountainous areas trying to stop infiltration coming face to face with Iranian Republican Guards.

Peter.

From the way it sounded, events had a nasty way of overtaking all their preliminary backstories. You perhaps shouldn't base the whole game around Assad if before the release date the younger Assad might possibly give up his post and return to the peace of his dental practice! It almost sounded like BFC was about to throw up their hands and were going to settle for "We're invading Syria because... ...because they're the most entertaining regional army for us to get a combat sim out of!"

But how long ago was that backstory thread? In this changable world they've probably changed their minds on the subject - again. ;)

Hello. I remember hearing in the campaign the U.S. Army is coming from the east out of Iraq. Is this confirmed?

Will the USMC be coming through Lebanon? That'll make some interesting terrain differences for the Marine module.

USMC is definitely not in the initial release, but Steve has strongly hinted that they will be the main focus of one of the follow-up modules.

It's a logical conjecture that a follow-on module focused on USMC would include some Amphibious units/vehicles, as well as perhaps additional in-game features to allow better portrayal of amphibious assault. Exactly what hypothetical additional game capabilities this might entail is an interesting question. . .

Wow, a USMC module might be pretty huge if it includes added AMTRACs and LAVs (both are amphibious), plus whatever else you need to throw in! Still, when you're looking at the bulk of Syrian waterways being not much more than muddy streams (not counting the Euphrates) then all that coding for amphib operations might seem a waste. - Unless they consider the effort to be 'pre-coding' so its available for their later releases.

The prospect of a long stretch of beach, incoming AMTRACs, and offshore artillery bombardments would make for an exciting module! - though I don't expect to see it, at least not until "CM:Guadalcanal" :D

Personally, I wasn't trying to write a Backstory. I was just wondering if the Marines would be coming from a different direction than the Army. The Mountains of Lebanon seemed like interesting terrain as I've heard they are high enough to be often snow covered in winter. Sergei says Western Syria is similar.

I don't expect a lot of new terrain for the USMC module as that wouldn't fit BF's new development plans, but we might see some more rugged terrain in the scenarios for the Marine Campaign if they do indeed come from the west.

BF has flat out said there would be no amphibious operations in the Marine Module, so Mikey, you're right, It'll have to wait.

• 2 months later...