Frozen solid

I have been having trouble with a game freeze so total that I have never encountered anything like this before. This problem first appeared in the Gold Demo, but since it only happened once I didn't sweat it. Now it has happened about four times in about three hours of gaming last night. Basically, I go into playback mode and run the movie ... then if I hit the rewind button and get the movie going again the game freezes. This is no normal freeze, this is total freeze. The sounds are locked and I can't shut the computer off with the power button. In fact, the only way I can shut the computer off is to literally unplug it. I have a Pentium III 550, ATI Rage, Direct X 7a.

In a unrelated issue, when I reinstalled my game after figuring out another issue, I got the message that the Mov0001 file has been corrupted and it then asks if I want to abort or ignore in order to complete installation. I tried installing more than once and I got that message every time. I didn't worry about it cause I figured it was the intro movie and I don't have quicktime. Windows probably couldn't identify the file and turned it into something it could identify.

When you lock up is the sound still coming from your speakers ? You may want to play with the "audio acceleration" slider in your Multimedia control panel (Multimedia control panel > audio tab > Advanced properties button in Playback area > Performance tab > Hardware acceleration slider in Audio Playback section).

If you know what audio card/sound chip you have you may want to check and see if there are any driver updates (which may fix or make your problems worse - crapshot on that one).

This is similar to the lockups I am(was) having with using the madmatt mod pack. I've installed the fix and so far no lockups. The problem with the power button not working on your machine is really odd. My guess is that the lockup is so bad that it's hampering the power saving or whatever soft shutdown thing? I've never seen that happen before.

The idea of using the sound acceleration slider is a good one. If I start getting lockups again I'll try that one.

Well, I played through "Fear in the Fog" with no freezes so I think the new driver did it. Unfortunately there was no fog ... and very little fear as I only took 10 casualties to the Krauts 132. I did make sure that the weather effects were on to full effect .... still no foggy stuff.

Guest Big Time Software

Two last checks:

1. Toggle SHIFT-W to make sure you haven't switched off fog in CM.

2. Check your card's control panel. See if there's a toggle for 'fog table emulation'. If yes, turn it on.

Charles

I don't see any "Fog" box to check. I noticed another post up above dealing with the ATI Rage about fog. I'm thinking I just don't get fog with the ATI Rage. I began playing "Ham and Jam" yesterday and the freeze problem did rear its ugly head again. Not during gameplay though. First time it occurred was at the beginning of the set up phase. The second time it froze was when the screen said "Loading 3D graphics". After getting past those initial warts I played through ten turns freeze free before I had to call it a night. Once again, the only way to clear the freeze was to literally unplug the computer. I have a pretty common Hewlett Packard Pavilion.