Worth it?

Chilibird

Howdy all,

I've been playing the DT demo for a while, but haven't gotten the full version. I've recently noticed that I have enough money to get a new game if I wanted. (Gas isn't sucking most of my paycheck tongue.gif )

Now then, I guess here are the questions to ask..

1. How well will the game run? Its been a bit since I've last played (.91 I think...) and my computer worked pretty hard to play this game.

FYI

Mac OS X 10.4.7

Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz, 512 MB RAM

2. Is it worth the money? It's been a long time since I've found a good game, especially one that has a good multiplayer mode. Multiplayer can make or break a game for me.

3. Is multiplayer very active?

4. I don't know how much longer I'll have this computer. Been looking into a new one in the next year or so (HS Graduation in 2007 ^.^). If I download the PPC version of DropTeam, and I got an Intel Mac, would I need to pay again to get the Intel version of the game?

I'm seriously considering this game, especially with the announcement of a WW2 mod...

Any input is appreciated smile.gif

Thank yas

-Ice

I have played numerous FPS and RTS games over the last few years, they cost between $10-$30 and they were all a waste of time.

This game cost the equivalent of $57 CDN and it was the best money I've spent since CMAK. I am not a "video gamer", I am a traditional war gamer--but this game converted me. I love it. With every update comes a new feature and more scenarios. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

Tech support is phenomenal in my experience (had a couple small issues, although I'm not running a Mac) and there are almost always people online except for late at night my time (-8 GMT). However it isn't as active as it could be.

In other words, we need more people on-line! So buy it! :D

I run this game on my 1.5ghz powerbook g4 (1gig ram) and it runs fine.

and it's the only mac game that i know of that has teamspeak (thanks clay).

the thing i really like about this game is that i finally have a game that uses REAL ranges and not some dumbed-down fps or rts that has ranges reduced to 500 feet or uses "clever map design" to keep the action up close.

It really is neat when you creep up to a ridgeline in hull-down mode and peep you turret over the top and nail some schlebb moving at 30km an hour 5 kilometers away.

If you buy it you get both the g4 version + the universal binary so when you upgrade to a new shiny intel mac you won't have to pay again (my mate runs it on his macbook pro which gets better frame rates than mine but i still kill him easily enough).

the single player is a waste of time imho, this game is all about the multiplayer.

buy it already !

I think I might just do that. I've spent some time playing recently, and, granted, the Multiplayer isn't quite as active as it could be, (Only 3 servers show up to me, 1 demo and 2 retail) but with the bots replacing humans, and the fact that the bots aren't total idiots, having nooone online isn't that bad, and it's all the more fun with humans.

I've personally gotten a fondness for the Thor Heavy Artillery. On the demo map, I've gotten pretty good at hitting things, though sometimes it's hard to tell when the shot comes back down. (it seems that you don't see the explosion/dust cloud if you don't hit anything)

I think it would be kind of cool if half of the opposing team on the one demo map (I can't remember its name... kinda a grassy field with a base in the middle) dropped in with a bunch of artillery on the hills and just blasted the base into kingdom come. If anything, it would make cool footage for someone recording it tongue.gif

I particularlly like the smoke effects, and how the ground will be destroyed/displaced with explosive shots.

All in all, a very realistic game. I'm gonna check over the bank statement that came in the mail today, and I might be downloading the full version as early as tonight, so some of ya better be on!

-Ice

Originally posted by IcemanUSA:

I've personally gotten a fondness for the Thor Heavy Artillery. On the demo map, I've gotten pretty good at hitting things, though sometimes it's hard to tell when the shot comes back down. (it seems that you don't see the explosion/dust cloud if you don't hit anything)

I think it would be kind of cool if half of the opposing team on the one demo map (I can't remember its name... kinda a grassy field with a base in the middle) dropped in with a bunch of artillery on the hills and just blasted the base into kingdom come. If anything, it would make cool footage for someone recording it tongue.gif

Raid (the map) has several antiprojectile towers located in the map. They are capable of shooting down the artillery projectiles.

This is likely why you aren't seeing them impact.

Well, I decided to do it. Game is downloading now at a blistering *looks* 56.1 KB/sec ^.^

Estimated time remaining- 2 hrs 55 mins

Well, anywho.. If i'm still up when it's done, I'll drop on and check out the online play with new maps. Hope to see some of ya on there.

Oh, yeah... anyone who would know.. is there a way to rename my Iceman account that I signed up for the demo so that I can use that name for the full version? (I might not use Iceman.. I've been trying to think of a better name.. who knows. Any suggustions?)

Yep, the same, lovable, Iceman from Macologist ;) . Nice to see ya smile.gif

Well, anywho. I ended up falling asleep before the download finished, so I'm installing it now.

I'm gonna check out the campiegn before signing online.

Could anyone who has the power rename (or delete) the account "Iceman" that I signed up with for the demo , so I can create it to use with the main game? If ya need any proof that it's me, I'll do whatever I can. (I also had an account by the same name here, but I've forgotten the password, and the email linked to that account doesn't exist anymore)

I may be forced by circumstance into a sudden mac upgrade (goodbye CM, hello Drop Team), and I was wondering, how does the game stand up as a stand-alone game? I'm asking as someone who mooches off his workplace to get on the internet. From what I hear the game's AI does a good job, the bots aren't stupid, and those who love it love it. Any caviats to all that praise if yah don't have internet running to your house for teamplay? :confused: ;)

I'm going to be a terrible salesman but a good friend:

DropTeam is most fun when played online. Single player is simply not as good. Single player is rapidly getting better with improvements that are underway right now and we have a pretty good track record of getting these kind of enhancements done in a timely fashion. When I say single player is improving, I really mean it - no vaporware here.

I would say, right *now*, single player is fun for learning how to play and for experimenting with ideas but once your skills improve, the AI doesn't give you much of a challenge. However, I would also say that this won't be true for very much longer - the AI is improving dramatically and within a month or two single player will finally start to approach online multiplayer.