Infantry Gripe

Dark_au

While i'm in a griping mood.

Why the hell does a single Infantry squad need a whole big dropship to land them, especially as they can fly. I think they would be a lot harder to detect if instead of dropping via dropship they appeared at dropship height under their own power.

Rather then get creative, I'll just re-post my idea from another thread. Not like this board is in danger of getting overloaded with traffic :)

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=000173

Another thought - Don't bother with dropships for Infantry. Send them in Drop Pods "Starship Trooper's" Novel Style. With the confusion that the drop pods create, and some form of engineer teams that can take over buildings, well I can see the perfect way to take out hard targets.

Here's a few quotes -

One of the things that helps a capsule trooper to live long enough to draw a pension is that the skins peeling off his capsule not only slow him down, they also fill the sky over the target area with so much junk that radar picks up reflections from dozens of targets for each man in the drop, any one of which could be a man, or a bomb, or anything. It’s enough to give a ballistic computer nervous breakdowns—and does.

To add to the fun your ship lays a series of dummy eggs in theseconds immediately following your drop, dummies that will fall faster because they don’t slough. They get under you, explode, throw out "window," even operate as transponders, rocket sideways, and do other things to add to the confusion of your reception committee on the ground.

The first charge cut all the straps; the second charge exploded the plastic egg away from me in eight separate pieces — and I was out doors, sitting on air, and could see! Better still, the eight discarded pieces were metal-coated (except for the small bit I had taken proximity reading through) and would give back the same reflection as an armored man. Any radar viewer, alive or cybernetic, would now have a sad time sorting me out from the junk nearest me, not to mention the thousands of other bits and pieces for miles on each side, above, and below me. Part of a mobile infantryman’s training is to let him see, from the ground and both by eye and by radar, just how confusing a drop is to the forces on the ground— because you feel awful naked up there. It is easy to panic and either open a chute too soon and become a sitting duck (do ducks really sit? — if so, why?) or fail to open it and break your ankles, likewise backbone and skull.

What is really annoying are the other 4 guys.

They should never ever overjump you. That happens to often and gets them shot.

They should never be in LOS with an enemy unit that I have not LOS too. That way they would not stupidly walk over a ridge just too keep in formation.

It would be nice to be able to switch between single fire (only the guy you control) and combined fire (everyone who has LOS - those who have not should try to get into) with the 'r' key.

Hey and don't get me wrong: I'm complaining that much because I like the game! smile.gif

Originally posted by poesel71:

What is really annoying are the other 4 guys.

They should never ever overjump you. That happens to often and gets them shot.

They should never be in LOS with an enemy unit that I have not LOS too. That way they would not stupidly walk over a ridge just too keep in formation.

It would be nice to be able to switch between single fire (only the guy you control) and combined fire (everyone who has LOS - those who have not should try to get into) with the 'r' key.

Hey and don't get me wrong: I'm complaining that much because I like the game! smile.gif

This is a great point. Also, when the squad is told to "Hold Position" that should mean just that....in other words, when I want to stand up as squad leader the rest of the squad shouldn't leave their prone positions too. It makes scouting and sniping much more difficult.