Thoughts on the new Demo

PFMM

Well I'm interested but not sold. I feel like someone who has gone to a cheese tasting and only been granted a cracker, though it was a good quality cracker.

Why only public multiplayer? A bot match would allow me to practice, learn and optimise my computer before going online, and as there is alot of subtlety to this game, I find being bewildered no fun. Or are you trying to conceal something that is not as good as you claim?

Most of the Demos I have played try to expose me to as much variety and potential as is possible. I find your descision to limit us to one server playing only one match baffling by comparison.

Capture the flag? King of the hill? Sit on the base and score more points? Do you really think you can compete with Quake3. The originality you've shown with the units needs to be applied to this area, and would be appreciated.

On a minor note, I think that a speedometer is warranted, especially for vehicles such as the Shrike.

The need for a commander I feel is understated. Having no ability to learn except by competing, I think most people will go online as I did, pick a vehicle and wander around shooting targets as they present themselves. Which is fun until you compete with a side that is being coordinated and you are killed again, and again, and again. No, it's not enough to just read the manual. One needs to be able use the interface in action to convince people to respond in kind. And that requires practice.

I want this post to serve as criticism, not a whinge. I like most of what I've seen, but can't help but feel that something has been purposely left out.

are you trying to conceal something that is not as good as you claim?
That would be impossible (not to mention foolish of us). Everyone who buys the retail version has full access to these very forums. If the retail version were somehow inferior to the "slick lies" we've perpetrated with the demo or to what our claims about the retail version were, you would be reading about it. You're quite welcome to ask what those who have bought the retail version think about it, as others have done. It's not perfect but it's a darned fine game and it's definitely my current favorite. smile.gif

From a business perspective, duping you into a purchase wouldn't make any sense either. Our aim is to establish good relationships with gamers like you so that over the years we can create games that you want and you will continue to buy them from us so we can make a living and so we can all have quality games to play (for a change!) It's not as though we're going to make millions of dollars on this one title and then vanish to a beautiful island somewhere, cackling that our evil plan to sell you a piece of junk succeeded.

A bot match would allow me to practice, learn and optimise my computer before going online, and as there is alot of subtlety to this game, I find being bewildered no fun.
Yes, you can use single player bot matches to practice and try out a range of different ideas and tactics. You can spend hours trying out different combinations of vehicles, observing the effects of different weapons on different targets at different ranges in order to formulate new plans to use against other players online. Many hours, in fact. All of these hours spent learning and playing are quite fun. Fun enough, in our opinion, to ask you to pay for them.

We have piles of demo accounts who have logged > 40 hours of play with the demo. You pay $8.00 for 2 hours of so-called entertainment at a movie. You can play for weeks on end with the DropTeam demo as it is for free and we're really happy for you to do so, even if you don't buy it in the end. Just to get this single-scenario, multiplayer, free demo into your hands required an ocean of blood, sweat, and tears from us. We're glad you like the cracker. We can't blame you for also asking for cheese. But the answer is no.

Most of the Demos I have played try to expose me to as much variety and potential as is possible. I find your descision to limit us to one server playing only one match baffling by comparison.
You're quite right that they try to illustrate as much potential as possible, but the demos I've played try very hard not to give me as much *variety* as possible. They're usually limited to a single "level", sometimes with a tutorial thrown in.

Capture the flag? King of the hill? Sit on the base and score more points? Do you really think you can compete with Quake3. The originality you've shown with the units needs to be applied to this area, and would be appreciated.
We don't need, want, or think we are able to compete with Quake3 (and DropTeam's already a lot more fun than that anyway) but your point is taken. DropTeam has a very flexible system for victory conditions which we and the mod community are ramping up to take advantage of in free, add-on scenarios and mods. Also, "Objective" games in DropTeam are already miles above (or at least you would have to concede quite a different experience from) "king of the hill" in Quake. Ditto for CTF and territory.

On a minor note, I think that a speedometer is warranted, especially for vehicles such as the Shrike.
That's a good point. There is one already in the gunner's view, but I guess you're requesting one in the default view as well. I think there's room for a quite a few extra pieces of information out there including the speedometer.

The need for a commander I feel is understated.
It's certainly stated clearly in the manual and on these forums, but the game itself doesn't offer you much help in this regard as a newcomer. You're probably thinking that having the game remind you periodically "Your team needs a commander and here's why..." would be a good idea? I agree!

Nice response Clay.

PFMM: the game is not perfect, BUT it is a fun game made by real people, who are committed to making it even more fun. I at no point have felt cheated or conned after purchasing the game. The community of players is, for the most part, mature and positive about the future of the game. I hope to see you, and other fence sitters, on one of the V1.02 soon.

That's my two cents.

DropTeam obviously has a very different pace than games with a much poorer (if the goal is realism, which is admittedly not for everyone) physics model. But when I drive a Thor, I love feeling like I'm driving a heavy piece of machinery, and when I'm zipping around in a Paladin, I love feeling like I can scoot out of harm's way. Similarly, I love trying out the various weapons and ammo types in various environmental circumstances, and dealing with the effects of, e.g. losing a tire vs. losing my gunner vs. just plain being dead. And I haven't even talked yet about the deployable units, dropping, extracting, planning with teamies...

To reiterate one of Jung's points, the community is very much aware, right now, that a bunch of us (myself included) are newbies, and are very patient as we roll around doing dumb stuff. I'm learning a lot (mostly with Jung's patient help!) and having a great time doing it. Come join our reindeer games!

Originally posted by Paul Snively:

DropTeam obviously has a very different pace than games with a much poorer (if the goal is realism, which is admittedly not for everyone) physics model. But when I drive a Thor, I love feeling like I'm driving a heavy piece of machinery, and when I'm zipping around in a Paladin, I love feeling like I can scoot out of harm's way. Similarly, I love trying out the various weapons and ammo types in various environmental circumstances, and dealing with the effects of, e.g. losing a tire vs. losing my gunner vs. just plain being dead. And I haven't even talked yet about the deployable units, dropping, extracting, planning with teamies...

To reiterate one of Jung's points, the community is very much aware, right now, that a bunch of us (myself included) are newbies, and are very patient as we roll around doing dumb stuff. I'm learning a lot (mostly with Jung's patient help!) and having a great time doing it. Come join our reindeer games!

Doing dumb stuff? You crushed me multiple times today! As to the first post, this game is really damn good and worth the moolah. Stop whinging, buy it and oh yeah....stop whinging.

Originally posted by cool breeze:

This is my favorite game by far!

This game is good enough that my collection of games (which includes 9GB of mods for UT2k4, Quake 4, the extraordinary Darwinia, the Freespace 2 on steriods FS2Open project) has been gathering dust since the full version came out. I don't think I've touched anything else for more than a few minutes.

It's also rejuvenated a set of landscape code that I was working on because now I have a goal to acheive with it - making decent landscapes for this game!

DropTeam isn't perfect (yet!) but it's involving, complex, requires thinking and sound tactics and looks as though the modding capabilities will allow it to be pushed in interesting directions. It takes time to get into and I still do stupid things (like flip into a crater while trying to shoot something obliquely) and it will require practice and thought to win.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes