Hatch Open - what does it do?

It increases survivability for your crew after a partial or full penetration. That's pretty much the only effect as you say, since you get all the other views anyway. One of my biggest personal gripes with regard to the realism in the game, I admit.

Martin

pakfront, SLOW DOWN! It is fun to get 40 tons airborne though. :D Find those bumps in the trails and nail them at full throttle in 4th of 5th gear = hangtime. :eek:

Moon, didn't know you could switch the TC view to a non-magnified view. I found it very hard to see anything with the default 2.4x (or whatever) zoom view from the TC position. Have to try that tonight. Are those the same keys that switch sight views in the gunner's position?

Don't have the full game...yet. Purchased yesterday. Hoping for a Friday delivery. Having a blast (literally) with the demo.

Moon, didn't know you could switch the TC view to a non-magnified view. I found it very hard to see anything with the default 2.4x (or whatever) zoom view from the TC position. Have to try that tonight. Are those the same keys that switch sight views in the gunner's position?
PgUp/PgDn - in eyeball your 'optics' are still cracked. In this case cracking happened after the AI decided to throw itself on some Dragon's Teeth. Done it myself at other times though.

Originally posted by Affe Hans:

"It increases survivability for your crew after a partial or full penetration..."

One question:

Why?

Well, when a tank gets hit it is possible that the ammunition in it will catch fire and explode, therefore, the crew must bail out of the tank as quickly as possible.

The act of bailing out should take few seconeds in order to survive, and the best way to do it is with opened hatches.

Oren_m.

That and some of the force of the explosion from the penetrating round/exploding ammo is vented out of the tank instead of pureeing the crew.

A primitive version of blow-out panels fitted to Western tank designs (I think the T80 has this but not the T72...)

Originally posted by Hobnail:

A primitive version of blow-out panels fitted to Western tank designs (I think the T80 has this but not the T72...)

I've never heard of blow-out panels on T-80 and even if it did have them they wouldn't help much as all the ammo is stored in the crew compartment, 50%(ie. the rounds not in the carousel) of them without any protection if penetration occurs.