Adding RAM

Sanok

I don't know much about computers. What effect does adding RAM have on playing CM? My computer has only 64 mb and can upgrade to a maximum of 256.

I have all three CM games and have installed a lot of low-res mods. I can only play games under 2000 points. Even at that level, which is still high, I get lag and skips during the action phase. Obviously, smaller games do better.

Is it worth the time and money to add RAM to the 256 mb maximum my computer can have?

You don't mention if you're PC or Mac (I'm guessing older Mac with the 256mb limitation), but in either case, adding RAM is the cheapest and best "bang for the buck" thing that you can add to your computer. Absolutely upgrade it if it is in your budget while getting a new computer is not.

CMBB grows to about 140 MB in a 1250 points attack/defense, as reported by the Windows monitor. Now, that monitor is far less useful that similar tools on other platforms which also mention resident versus nonresident memory, but it should give you a good idea. With 128 you will still see a speed increase when you upgrade further. Upgrading above what the OS and the application needs will only lead to further speedup on disk activity. Just make sure you kill all that useless background junk in newer Windows variants, not to mention spyware and virusses.

I have an eMachines PC, 730 processor. I replaced the i810 chipset with a GeForce 5200 128 mb graphics card. Upgrading to 256 mb of RAM will causes the gtaphics to load faster? I'll get less lag and skips during the action phase?

When I play the turns, I disconnect from the net and turn off everything I can. I then reconnect to send my turns.

How do I know if there is spyware on my computer and how do I eliminate it?

Originally posted by Sanok:

How do I know if there is spyware on my computer and how do I eliminate it?

Install Linux or FreeBSD :D

Much more RAM wil bring down the "loading 3D graphics" phase of the game but only if you have a lot of it, you probably need a gigabyte to see improvements in that area.

Graphics moving in a jerkey way, after the game comes up, will be fixed by providing enough RAM for your application, and see no further improvement from that point on.

Hi, Sanok,

I have changed my Ram from 128 Mb to the 512 Mb..The game performance has been increased too much..I recommend that to you..I have also changed my OS system from win 98 to the Xp Professional..The game locked up usually before but till one month, I haven't seen any problem..

My System is:

Celeron 2.0 Ghz

512 Mb Ram

32 mb Geforce 2 Video Card

Regards..

If you have much more RAM than the game needs, then the filesystem buffer cache will hold parts of the textures the first time you load them. If you then start the game again (e.g. next PBEM more) it will load the textures faster.

Again, it is really easy to figure out how much RAM the game needs: open the system monitor (control-alt-del and the some, and go to the RAM monitor), set the scale so that you can see 30 minutes worth of usage, play the size games you want for 30 minutes and inspect the maximum size the game grew to. Then buy that amount of RAM. Anything more will only help minimally, e.g. with texture caching as above, and is mostly a waste of money.

The only problem is that the WIndows system onitor gives to apprerivated info on RAM usage, maybe there is a better tool somewhere.