Official MNB World War II at Sea Website Opens

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, a game about naval warfare that looks good and easy to understand. I've been waiting for such a beast! Now, does anyone know a good book to purchase about naval tactics? I can watch "Sink the Bismarck" only so many times. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. Ok, just trying to get my head around this whole thing. When you say "original" game, do you mean the original Naval Battles card game first published way back when by Avalon Hill? Is this a copy of that game, an update, or a completely new animal?

Hello avro_arrow,

The new Naval Battles is based of my Modern Naval Battles design from 1989.

I altered the system a bit for WWII combat and improved the way some of the mechanics work.

The new Naval Battles card game will be released by Phalanx Games in a few days.

The computer version of the game will go into more detail and expand on the basic game in many areas.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since this site was opened last September, BFC has announced and released T-72 and S.C.S., and has now announced DropTeam. I saw the post saying Modern Naval Battles is being held up because of delays with Down In Flames. Is there any progress to report? :confused: :confused:

Dave H, the other projects are not connected to T72 or Dangerous Waters, they're done by different development teams. So releasing them (or any other titles) is not the cause for the delay with MNB or DIF.

Down in Flames and Modern Naval Battles are somewhat connected, however, in the development effort, so the delay with DIF has caused a ripple effect on MNB, and we're focussing first on getting DIF out before really being bale to make much progress with MNB. Once DIF is out, things will move fairly quickly however. Or so we hope.

Martin

Moon, thanks for both answers. I just didn't expect to have such a long wait between the announcements and the games. Usually you guys have something ready to go before tossing the bones to the wolves in the forum. :D:D

• 2 months later...

The very first PC based game I ever bought was Great Naval Battles North Atlantic, I have been longing for a modern version of that ever since. Fighting Steel was great as far as the actual fighting goes, but, the campaign game left me cold, I could not choose what ships to sortie and where to sortie as I could in GNBNA. To decide when, where and in what capacity to sortie (especially when playing the Germans) was the key to success.

Modern Naval Battles looks very interesting, and as I have had a passion for naval warfare since I was a kid making airfix battleships, I will buy this game. Do you ever envisage a possible future game, that encompasses the combat and basic mechanics of Modern Naval Battles with a full campaign mode, similar in principle, to how GNBNA worked.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I remember the old card game, and thought it was pretty cool when I was a kid, but I have been searching for a better version of Fighting Steel for years. How would you compare it to that game?

I hope that there will be tactical strategy, such as maneuvers, and patrol assignment options, included.

I take it, that this is turn based rather than real time action???

• 4 months later...

I look forward to this game.

I played the Harpoon series for many years, and I guess the original designers finally gave up on the latest/greatest release just a few years ago, because no one seems to know anything more about it. Comments?

Im sure this game will have an unbelieveable burden on you designing it, so many details.

Im quite interested in the detail of the submarine fleet areas especially WWII time frame.

Playing what ifs, we can just see. But, knowing now, that had Germany waited as asked by her top admirals, for a better surface fleet, it could have ended differently.

Speculation on a fleet with time to grow and work collectively instead of on their own, used in a better concept, the 4 Bismark sized Heavyweights, with additional sisters like Prinz Eugen/Scharnhorst/Tirpitz, with suffice air-forces, with submarine, Im sure the British fleet would have either died in action or moved west to Greenland for a 2nd line of defense. Of even better supported the Battle of Britain with perhaps shore bombardment of those pesky radar stations, just an idea! smile.gif

Of course, Air-carrier power was a key, and that was a note for the british, but with such a game idea in your development, there are plenty of options the WWII times offer.

Gotta have fun with the subs, they were very important in both theaters, and should not be left to be just Icons with simple commands to be lost on a board like a picket-destroyer.

all the best, in your worst of days in the drawing board rooms!

hogs rule!

Originally posted by 05hogsrule:

I look forward to this game.

(snip)

You did notice this forum was opened almost exactly two years ago, right? The game doesn't appear to be any closer to completion.

Also, from your comments it appears you're looking for a WW2 naval simulation. I think you're looking for a different game than Modern Naval Battles. The key word here is GAME.

Originally posted by 05hogsrule:

To Dave H,

Fault me for just becoming a registered member a few days ago of this site and the forum, and not ever seeing the game or its 2year history.

Please, dont beat me like a Christian!

Pardon my bile. Sometimes on this forum it spills out much too easily.

Welcome to BFC and enjoy.

I'm curious - did you mean to beat you like you're a Christian or like I'm a Christian? Not that there's anything wrong with either.

Also, what hogs? Surely not the pathetic Redskins? Possibly Arkansas? I don't know of any in Maine. :D:D