R.I.P. Rex Kramer

Inigo Montoya

Thanks.

That's the end of me playing DiF.

Someone else already said it on DiF chat recently (think it was "the_jedi") and I agree with that statement now. It's just too frustrating to loose a pilot you've put hours of work into to dumb luck.

In my case, Rex lost ED in a previous mission. Doing a "simple" dogfight to try and regain ED, the enemy wingman played an IMS:Des, then Barrel Roll, then drew another card and got an Ace Pilot. Guess what card I didn't have.

Have fun with the expansion.

But don't you think playing the game would become rather boring if you could be 100% sure your pilots will survive every situation no matter what? I wouldn't want to play a game where you could click through your options with eyes closed and never get punished for actions not well planned. Not that I didn't get mad about the AI drawing exactly the cards it needs before, but isn't that in most games? Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not.

Just my two Euro cents.

Fred,

I understand what you're saying. It's part of the RPG aspect of the game. And I wouldn't want the game to be like that.

It's not so much that it happened but that it's been happening consistently with my pilots over the past couple of weeks. Get one that starts to get pretty good (100+ kills) and he gets killed. Once is disappointing. 4 or 5 times pretty much broke my enthusism for the game.

Then you have to start over building up the skills...AGAIN. Getting tedious. Game starts to feel more like work than fun.

BTW, Rex was only 12 kills away from being the all-time US kill leader. So that just adds to the bummer factor.

Granted, I know I'm kinda new to the community and all, but this is one of the MAIN reasons I think DiF just CRIES for ability to :

1) Chain a series of Campaigns together. We'll call this "A War"

2) "Grow" and develop a set of pilots (your squadron) during the various campaigns of the War.

The beauty of it is that at the end of the linked group of campaigns - "The War", that's it, your surviving group of pilots get retired to the hi score table with their accomplishments forever. Time to start a new "War" with a fresh squadron, trying to exceed yours (and everyone else's) previous hi scores for the War.

The hardest design aspect is in balancing the campaigns and in trying to figure out how to do all of this in a fair and balanced multiplayer environment. My 10 cents? Hoohey - make a war just a single player experience. Store the squadron on a server to guarantee the integrity of the hi score table, but make the full war a single player only experience. Have a player create their initial roster, maybe assign a few "freebie" XP points, and off you go to campaign mission #1 of the war. You can even have the specific campaign 'branch' depending on the success/failure of the previous campaign. Give the player the option after a campaign to decide his next "front" (east front/west front/Mediterranian/Pacific, etc).

In many ways, it's EXACTLY what "Panzer General" did in their campaign with the growth of your core assets (Level 15 Combat Engineer, anyone?).

SamF7

That's disappointing indeed and I understand your frustration.

I had a pilot killed with eightthousandsomething XP I guess and I wasn't very happy with that.

Couple of minutes ago I wanted to finish off a smoking enemy leader who held only 4 cards with my wingie playing an OOTS, but he countered it with a vertical roll. So my leader played another OOTS, but he got one more VR, which I answered with my own VR. Of course the enemy drew an ACE and the chance to distract the other enemy pair from my bombers was gone.

The turn after the other enemy leader shot down one of the heavies...

So I decided to quit for today, but I'm sure I'll be back soon.

Hope you'll change your mind, too, Sitzkrieg.

Best wishes

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Heh I DL the demo and as far as I can see this game is some eye candy with random die rolls off in the ally of the computer to see who is the luckiest today. Not much skill required and could be done on paper with a pair of dice LOL.

Glad they let you try some these first it saves on the old pocketbook smile.gif

Originally posted by Sixxkiller:

Ya well I want to see those dice too. It could also be called "lack of skill" when saving on that old pocket book too. smile.gif

Well I spent the 24.50 sixxkiller but still don't see any improvement on the ahem "AI" features (hence my die roll comment), in fact with the neat little box that shows what is happening I find it interesting to watch the AI which is out of cards continually draw one that it needs.

Guest Mike
Originally posted by Jim Harrison:

in fact with the neat little box that shows what is happening I find it interesting to watch the AI which is out of cards continually draw one that it needs.

Like I say it's just you - the aI hardly ver gets out of jail with a card draw when I play it.....of course it helps that I mainly play with uber-pilots that have bucket loads of redraws and extra cards too!! ;)

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim Harrison:

in fact with the neat little box that shows what is happening I find it interesting to watch the AI which is out of cards continually draw one that it needs.

Like I say it's just you - the aI hardly ver gets out of jail with a card draw when I play it.....of course it helps that I mainly play with uber-pilots that have bucket loads of redraws and extra cards too!! ;) </font>

Another option I would like to see is playing battles that don't have anyhting to do with building your pilot skills you:

1) Pick your theater

2) Pick your pilots (skills are random)

3) Pick your planes

4) Play and have fun!

Just good ol' dogfight....without having to worry about losing a pilot you've taken months to build.

I guess you could call them user generated battles...

Steve

Originally posted by Jim Harrison:

Not really - jsut work harder at not getting shot down!! smile.gif

first skill I buy is Zoom climb - it's a "get out of trouble" card - you get to go to an altitude for free whereas it costs your opponent cards to do so.

You do need to build your own experience of the game - there are losts of posts here abuot tips and tricks, but nothing beats playing het game and understanding how it works.