New Medals?

Guest Mike

Dan suggested a thread on possible new medals might be a good idea, whilst in hte Briefing Room jsut a litle earlier.

My interest is the Commonwealth forces, so I'll start with some comments about the current and missing crop of RAF medals.

A list of pre-1993 RAF awards can be seen at http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/gallantry.htm

There are a couple missing from the DiF roster that could be used to replace the Military Cross, which is actually an army medal:

cgm.jpg

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (RAF Ribbon on the left, RN Ribbon is the one actually on the medal)

This was originaly a RN Medal extended to the RAF in 1943 to recognise gallantry whilst flying in operations against the enemy - 105 RAF CGM's were awarded in WW2.

The GGM rates immediately below the VC, and the civilian equivalent is the George Cross.

This could be the 2nd highest RAF award.

And the Distinguished Flying Medal:

dfm.jpg

This was awarded to NCO's and enlisted men for bravery (note not gallantry - enlisted men are brave, only officers are gallant!) while flying operations against the enemy.

I'm not sure this should be used as it's for non-officers, but perhaps it could be awarded to pilots who achieve anything of note while flying the demo - they could all be ranked as Sergeant-Pilots, and promoted to Pilot Officer when they get to the full version, or perhaps new pilots could start as sergeants instead of pilot officers, and this would be awarded for shooting down an enemy a/c while still a sergeant?

There's also an Airforce Cross for Officers, and an Airforce Medal for Enlisted Men for acts of gallantry/bravery when not flying in ops against the enemy that I guess aren't appropriate.

Soviet military medals home page - just in case there's a need for Soviet medals for any reason - there's plenty to choose from here - Hero of the Soviet Union, Order of Lenin, Order of the REd Star, Order of the Patriotic War, Order of Glory, Medal for Bravery (alt called for Galantry, for Valor), Medal for Combat Service are all possibles.

Just in case... ;)

• 1 month later...

In a recent magazine article ref. Japnaese WW2 a/c there was mention of an award called "BUKOSHO" which was described as: " a Japanese equivalent of the (US) Medal of Honor instituted by Emmperor Hirohito on December 7, 1944. The award broke from the Japanese tradition of honoring heroes only after death. One recipient was Warrant Officer Kenji Fujimoto of the 246th Sentai, who was credited with three B-29s, including one from the 499th Bomb Group that he rammed (in a Ki-84) and brought down on March 13, 1945. After he rammed a second B-29 over Kobe on March 16, Fujimoto was awarded the BUKOSHO."

It was actually named the Bukochosho. The Bukosho is more of a westernized popular name for it.

And it was not more important nor as valuable as the Congressional Medal of Honor. The Order of the Golden Kite was actually a harder process that required sometimes years to be awarded while the bukochosho could be awarded on the spot by the recipients commander. Not saying it wasnt a honor to win, but I would make it more of the Silver Star of Japanese awards.

And yes I would like to have it in the game. smile.gif

-Ray

• 4 months later...

Hm, nobody added German medals so far. Here are some:

The Fighter Clasp was awarded in many different variants. The one in the game is the bronze (20 Missions), also are there Silver (60) and Gold (110). Later came also (among many others) the Fighter Clasp with pendant to the Golden Fighter Clasp (500 Missions). So they called it.

For the Iron Cross:

Iron Cross 2nd Class

Iron Cross 1st Class

Knights Cross of the Iron Cross

Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with oak leaves

Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with oak leaves and swords

Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with oak leaves, swords and brilliants

Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with golden oak leaves, swords and brilliants

Great Cross of the Iron Cross

The two last ones were only awarded once. The Knights Cross for Hans Ulrich Rudel and the Great Cross for Hermann Goering

Maybe some of them will find their way in with updates or other addons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i read the post of rivven-darke above...and...some new medals after a special number of fights or maybe kills also would be a great idea...maybe also a medal for a special number of fights against human enemies, or also for a special number of human kills?

So what you are thinking about it?

Loki.

Originally posted by Firefly:

Some of the RAF medals can't even be won vy real life RAF pilots smile.gif . The Military Cross is for Army officers nly, WW1 pilots could get it, but not WW2 pilots.

Uh...yes...I said so in the first post in this thread!! smile.gif

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Firefly:

Some of the RAF medals can't even be won vy real life RAF pilots smile.gif . The Military Cross is for Army officers nly, WW1 pilots could get it, but not WW2 pilots.

Uh...yes...I said so in the first post in this thread!! smile.gif </font>

Err...Six...I'm not now, and never have been, married.........it's not like there's a link between having no life so you can spend all your time playing DiF and knowing what you're talking about....Six is the proof of that! smile.gif

So you sheer em, sheep with em, and sneak out of the pen eh? You cad!

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Err...Six...I'm not now, and never have been, married.........it's not like there's a link between having no life so you can spend all your time playing DiF and knowing what you're talking about....Six is the proof of that! smile.gif