RPG element.

Wodin

How about implementing and RPG element to the game.

This would really add to the overall atmosphere. Watching you beloved flight leader trying to out manouver a BF109. Knowing he is you best pilot and on the way to becoming an ace.

You could even have a skill increases with experience for shooting as an example. leadership and many other skills could be implemented.

Any thoughts?

Cool.

I'm thinking of one of my favorites.... B-17: Queen of the Skies

Having "real" crew members, trying to get them through missions and losing so many of them....really added an emotional element to the game with the use of a little imagination.

A well-developed RPG element would be great!

Yes. And I really got into all the little damage possibilities to the plane; oxygen fires, ailerons out, lost engines, fuel leaks, etc. The details were pretty well fleshed out and really made the game. Having to drop out of the squadron and suffering increased fighter attacks, etc etc. With a little imagination you really got a pretty good feel for the tension and difficulty of those bomber missions.

I always wished for a pc version of that one just to automate all the occasionally tiring die rolling and chart checking. Just a literal translation with a few tweaks to the game would be great---I'd play it even if it were hardly more than a text-based game.

Heh, yeah me neither Larry. In fact, I don't think I ever got a single crew memeber to survive 25 missions. I think that was my only real criticism of that game....a little too dangerous for the boys. Probably an unrealistic number of fighter attacks/mission. I always wanted to work my own rule adjustments into it and try to tweak it a little but never got to it.

Frenchy,

Ive never played wargames due to having no one around to play against. However Ive always wanted to have a go. Ive even bought them in the past just to read the manual, look at the map and counters, yet never played any:(

What Ive just read over at your site stirs the imagination, what a game to be able to play. Im very jealous but will check in to see what happens to various planes and crew:)

Unfortunately,I don't have that game anymore,(Or most of my board games for that matter).

Sold them around 10 years ago in a yard sale...big mistake...but at the time I had lost interest in war games...now I wish I had them all back.

Oh yes.....B-17. First (and honestly the best) war game I ever bought.

My buddy and I used to play B17 after school..one would roll the dice and take care of the paperwork, while one ran the charts. Great fun. We, of course, filled out the roster with our buddies. I'll never forget the BIP (burst in plane) we experienced on our fifth mission..everyone KIA'ed. We sorta looked at each other with wierd expressions.

I drug out B17 last year and attempted to play a couple of missions. I must be a computer whore now because after a couple of rounds of rolling the dice and looking up the results, I was annoyed. Not at the game, mind you, but at the persistant thought in the back of my mind "This should be ported to the computer."

Which leads me to this: Someone needs to make this Pheonix rise from the ashes. C'mon guys...make me (and Cull, Larry, and the rest) happy.