Supply flow through corners of tiles?

If supply can flow through the corners of the tiles ( I don't know if this is possible :confused: ), the following situation could arise:

Imagine an allied HQ and south of it another allied unit. South west of the allied HQ is an axis HQ and east of this is an axis unit.

The supply lines would cross each other. :D

Maybe supply should flow only through the edges of the tiles. ;)

I'm still not completely convinced. smile.gif

Even if these corners are square kilometers, these supply convoys use streets. The north-south route and the west-east route cross somewhere.

Will they peacefully drive past each other? :confused:

I'd think units against any two opposite sides should adequately represent a surrounded city. The problem then becomes whether or not the unit closest to the enemy is itself in supply.

-- That opinion has nothing to do with SC-2, I'm just speculating on a four-sided system; having to place a unit against each side of the city (four) would seem a bit extreme to me -- few sieges are conducted at a 4::1 ratio.

-- -- Also, I'm wondering how sea tiles effect this if one is diagonal to the city and the other sides are all land and controled by the enemy?

I'm still not completely convinced.
Situations like this are rare, and if and when they do happen they are transitory. With 8 directions of movement using tiles versus only 6 using hexes, you need to get used to a few differences. Cutting off an enemy unit means really cutting it off from ALL paths. I've had some cases where I thought I had a unit cut off, only to have it reinforce itself or slip away. Likewise, enemy units can slip through gaps into your rear area so you have to be careful. Overall it makes SC2 more dynamic and interesting in many ways.

Ever play AH Russian Front? In that game combat occured in the hex. So you could pocket some enemy units, only to have them attack out at low odds and retreat THROUGH your lines. And such things did happen in WWII, where defensive lines were porous in many cases. My point is to not be TOO concerned about some specifics, and wait to see the overall gameplay over extended periods. It's pretty good actually.

Umm, can you no longer cut off a unit simply by capturing the land around it?

Surrounding a unit out-of-supply didn't require blocking all six hexes around it in SC1 either. Supply should not go between two adjacent enemy units regardless of if there is a diagonal line or even a tile between them.

Dirtweasle,

Supply lines can't run through enemy-colored hexes. Anything mobile can cut off supply to vast enemy areas once it's loose in the "backfield."

Make a hole, get behind them, cut off supply, then destroy the out-of-supply units. It works against anything that wants to stand and fight, even if it's in a city.

"The engine of the tank is no less a weapon than the gun." --Guderian

Supply as i already mentioned in other post's should be a 'TOP PRIORITY'
I doubt this will get much attention, since the current system works quite well. In this game HQs = supply, so if you want better supply then buy more HQs and move them to where the action is. Pretty simple.

What changes could you propose that would not add unnecessary complexity?

Just to make sure:

1. Does supply ever go where the units can't? (eg. diagonally between two enemy units)

2. Does supply every go through enemy controlled land? (even if there are no enemy units in the way)

If the answer to both questions is NO, then I see no defunctionality in the supply system.

Excel,

As far as I know and this is unless of course there is a bug somewhere or I have misunderstood the questions... the answer to both questions would be no.

Added note: Essentially it is the same system as in SC1 except now with tiles. Also, the path finding algorithms, which include supply, take into account land countours etc., so this is why there is no longer the supply bug that allowed the supply path to pass from Denmark to Sweden as was the case in SC1