Buy SC1, Get SC2 reduced?

Hi. I've been reading through the forums, and I was thinking about buying SC1. But with the new version coming out soon, I wondered what my upgrade path might be.

If I buy SC1, and the new version comes out in the next couple of months, will I be able to get it either at a reduced rate, or as a free upgrade?

Come on 95, you can't spring for the scratch that SC costs?

Have you ever heard of the "fun for money factor", well SC is the epitome.

Don't be a cheapskate...live a little, money is only a mechanism to the "quality of life", just like your imagination.

Here's hoping you('ll) have both, and the wisdom to use them.

I think both games will be sufficiently different, and you'd be more likely to get SC1 cheap if bought with SC2 than the other way around.

Buy SC1 now and you've got months of entertainment before SC2 comes out. Go for it!

As VERY many SC-1 war-gamers here & elsewhere will attest, the price for the original game is one hell of a bargain. :cool:

As for replayablility, #95, ad infinitum, I STILL play SC-1 after 3 years, even though I am privileged to play... what is now a very polished and... gradually, and surely coming to completion... game of SC-2, Blitzkrieg!

They are different enough that you can enjoy each one for its unique style. smile.gif

OK fellas. I really wasn't trying to come off as a cheapskate! I guess I was questioning whether it made sense to just wait for the newer version before buying the game.

Can I ask one more question? Desert Dave mentions that the game has a very high replayability factor. I haven't purchased many historically based games. Most of my experience has been with games like Age of Empires, Gal Civ, etc where a new random world is created each time. For this type of game, does it really play differently each time? I am more than glad to be wrong, but I get the feeling that once you figure out a way to win, will the AI change up its strategy enough to make it feel like a different game the next time I play it?

While those of us who own the game think $25 is a bargain, I think the OP is not alone in asking the question of whether it makes any sense to buy the game with a sequel around the corner. A smart marketer might see an opportunity in this. Sales for SC likely aren't great right now. Why not do a marketing campaign where people prepurchase SC2 and get SC as a special "gift" to hold them over until the new game is ready? Seems like a rather interesting option for bringing sales forward and accelerating some cash flow that likely wouldn't hurt as they work to finish SC2.

Originally posted by nfnity95:

Can I ask one more question? Desert Dave mentions that the game has a very high replayability factor. I haven't purchased many historically based games. Most of my experience has been with games like Age of Empires, Gal Civ, etc where a new random world is created each time. For this type of game, does it really play differently each time? I am more than glad to be wrong, but I get the feeling that once you figure out a way to win, will the AI change up its strategy enough to make it feel like a different game the next time I play it?

Once you figure out the strategy to beat it, yes, that'll work every time.

After that, the fun is in, "How do I beat it if the Axis/Allies did this instead...?"