This is a one of those little niggles that gets me every time I play a war game--national flags. The Americans get the stars and stripes, the British get their Union Jack, the Japanese get their rising sun battle flag, the Soviets get the hammer and sickle...and the Germans get this gamey cross on a red field, that was neither the national flag or the Wehrmacht's battle flag. Yes, there was a similar cross used on the sides of planes and panzers, but I don't know of a single actual instance of this flag, and it feels very cop-out.

I do notice that the "SC: Blitzkrieg" logo features 4 flags and with (surprisingly) the German flag there...yet it's not in the screenshots for the game. There, we're back to the gamey flag.

I don't know, it's not huge, but it is somewhat jarring out of the mood and atmosphere of the game. It always feels like bug, intentional though it is.

Nik

The "German Cross" was a symbol used by the German military during WWII. While at the same time countries like the US, Britain, Japan, etc. flew their own flags into battle.

And it should be known that the swastika was originally a symbol of peace in India (and I think in Buddhism).

While certain symbols are not shown ingame due to legal reasons (as With Clusters mentioned), I personally feel that it is wrong for Germany to try and master their realm by hiding the past in their attempts to create a semblance of a peaceful history (and by their, I mean government, not German citizens).

In my opinion Germany was not a bad country at any time, it's just a few people ruining the countries reputation. Germany fought gallantly in WWII, in 1945 berlin was all but lost and men women and children got what they could and fought off the soviet army for a number of days. So with all of this why would we diminish their fallen soldiers by representing them with the swastika. In my opinion the German flag should be the eagle on a field of white known as the Prussian imperial battle flag

It's worth to mention I guess that the German laws originate in the time where the Allied forces had the say. The showing of the various Nazi symbols has been forbidden after the war AFAIK.

One could argue that Germany should be independent enough by now to adjust those laws to whatever they feel like, however, imagine what would happen when you'd read in your local newspaper: "Flash news! Germany legalizes Nazi symbols!" It only takes a few idiot's to hand some Swastikas out of their windows, and you have a major political news story about the "Neonazis" being on the uprise.

So nobody really bothered (or dared) to change the laws. And since Germans are very law-abiding people anyway, the various institutions watching over those laws do their job well, especially when it comes to "protecting the youth", and therefore games are still very much in the limelight, and gamemakers are super-careful not to cross the lines.

Personally, I find the compromise of showing the Wehrmacht symbol in the national flag very good. It's very similar to the Swastika flag, and it is not total fantasy either (like some other games are using). Having to make a different version of the game specifically for Germany (and some other countries with similar laws, France for example I thnk) takes time and effort, so we'd rather make one version, and let you guys mod it any way you like smile.gif

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

lol

wow

thats the first time any1 has ever made a reference or a link to a post i made

lol

its too bad for the laws, cuz it would make it a bit more historical, but sum1 will prolly make a mod so u can have the nazi flag