Another new to SC2 guy question

Haven't even started playing yet as I have just got the game and need to do some reading before I start.

It may be far off "But" I was wondering something:

Is it a possible strategy, playing Germany, to leave

Europe alone and push to the oilfields in Russia and

engage in only one front.? Or do you need the resources obtained from occupying Europe to even think of attacking Russia? Or can you even have the option of trying to have a one front war by whatever means, diplomacy etc. Appreciate any Veterans thoughts or ideas.

You start off in Poland, right after france and the UK declared war on you.

So you are bound to get them in your back.

This will drain your income and will give you a 2 front war.

Common path to take vs the AI would be:

Poland

Denmark

Low countries

Norway

France

Some others like Yugoslavia and Greece

South Africa or the UK

Sovjets

There is a fine line to walk considering attacking one country can upset the US or Russia.

Even moving near them with units can trigger things like that.

Basically it's a game of conquering as much as possible before going into the Sovjet Union.

There is a guide somewhere on the board, it's a good thing to start with that smile.gif

Thank you, I have a lot to learn, I was just trying

to minimize the damage of multiple fronts smile.gif I read some general tips off the "panzerliga" site that should be useful, such as where and not where to have units to keep certain countries less hostile. I'll be playing against a human opponent, my long time friend and nemesis of "CM" so he'll be less

predictable than the "ai" smile.gif but he's new too.

I'm not sure how the game is setup for multi player,

but he likes playing the Russians and that leaves

me with Germans, so I wonder if he just well end up controlling all the allies and me the axis, or

if other countries well operate independently?

Axis tends to be a little harder on a new player, since there are more occasions to screw up ;)

I suggest you start a hotseat game first and declare war on a few of the minor countries to check their troop deployment(though this can vary a little bit in some cases).

This can come in handy in taking Norway(take the capital and you win),

Yugoslavia and some other countries.

Germany by its self, even with Poland, doesnt have the MMPs (resources) to take on Russia and win. So a one front war, ignoring France at your back will lose in the long run, a very short long run.

You could try and focus on the West first before heading over to Russia.. or even buy them out compleately. ASAP throw 5 diplo chits on USSR, and 3 more from Italy when they join. Take out Poland, France .. then focus on UK. Aviod the minors that USSR is protecting (Yogo/Turkey). Your really praying for hits on those Diplo chits, and your going to have to keep investing in them as USSR readness will start to incress no matter what in 41. Toping that off a few must have spots (London, Egypt) will have a hit on USSR readness. So while you could try and keep it a one front war by going to UK asap and buying off USSR.. its a pure luck approce.

all great advice. Axis is a little tougher on a the newbie as you only dominate the game early and have to keep momentum, if you screw up then the allied factories will grind you down.

kill france, then decide the big question of sealion (UK invasion) or not.if you do then you have to massively commit to wiping out the UK and making te brits surrender, this means Africa too adn that can take a little experience as supply is a fine art sometimes. If no sealion then just build build build build units in 40/41. Axis have the better troops but the key is to concentrate them at points and not get too spread out. take easy minors for the MPP and morale boosts but don;t wate mpp operating them aroudn too much when you could buy another AF or LR air or another panzer etc. invest in IW. don't have a long term aim like "I must take the casucaus" in 41, you never know what will happen, what techs will luck etc. whatver your decsion as axis you cannot fail once so juts go in hard and focus your firepower. always remember it's a game not apersonal history of europe and the victory conditions. for the little austrian painter with one testicle he has to take Moscow. stalingrad, paris and I think London too . aim to win by 43, the longer it goes on the more trouble you are in.

Originally posted by Micheal Wittman:

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I just don't want to make the same mistakes since I have the opportunity of looking back on the history of it all.I do not want to run outta the black gold "oil" at some point or have "no air" force to force smile.gif

The "oil" in the game does not exist. Oil fields are treated like mines or cities producing points that let you buy units, repair them etc. So they are important but not as important as they should be, your tanks/planes do not need access to oil.

IMHO it's acceptable to abstract oil along with other resources given the overall simplicity of the game design. If you track oil separately then you start down the slippery slope of needing to track other items that are critical to the war machine like ball bearings, rubber, etc.

Originally posted by Elmo:

IMHO it's acceptable to abstract oil along with other resources given the overall simplicity of the game design. If you track oil separately then you start down the slippery slope of needing to track other items that are critical to the war machine like ball bearings, rubber, etc.

This is something completely different, a lot of WW2 operation had aims directed by the need of oil, hell even Japan's attack at US was mostly oil related one. There were on the other hand no major operations in order to capture rubber.

Originally posted by borsook:

This is something completely different, a lot of WW2 operation had aims directed by the need of oil, hell even Japan's attack at US was mostly oil related one. There were on the other hand no major operations in order to capture rubber.

Thank you for indirectly making my point. As soon as Mr. Cater singles out one resource to include the debate begins on why other perhaps equally important resources were not included. I agree with his decision to abstract them all. You don't, but at least Mr. Cater is not forced to spend his limited design time justifying why certain resources were included and others were not.

Edited for the spelling nazis. Apologies to Mr. Cater.

[ June 25, 2007, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Elmo ]

Originally posted by Elmo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by borsook:

Thank you for indirectly making my point. As soon as Mr. Carter singles out one resource to include the debate begins on why other perhaps equally important resources were not included. I agree with his decision to abstract them all. You don't, but at least Mr. Carter is not forced to spend his limited design time justifying why certain resources were included and others were not. </font>