What happened to pre-game view, online spectators, replays and timer option?

1) Pre-game view:

A possibility for both players to view map, units and research before turn one begin. This prevents the host from setting up a cheating scenario.

2) Online spectators:

Do I even have to tell how cool it was in tournaments if ppl could watch the finals, LIVE?

AAR has been a success since day one (Zapp vs Rambo). Many players say they want more, that the AAR are too briefly explained. Those who like AAR would love spectator mode even more. The problem with AAR is that it takes much time. Another nice thing would be to have turns like chapters on a CD. I could leave my computer for 1 hour and go back watch the latest turn and control which turns I wanna see or perhaps rewatch them from the beginning again.

Especially cool would be playing a game of SC2 and simultaneously being connected to someone elses game, watching it while waiting for your opponents turn. Ofcourse, this implies that SC2 uses more than one port for communication.

3) Replays:

Similar to online spectators, turns are stored in a file and can be loaded from the main menu when starting SC2.

4) Timer Option:

So important. I want to avoid the 40 hour+ games. With a time limit I could play full games in 10 hours instead, more reasonable. There are good timing systems in chess.

Proposals:

System a) Initial Time X (minutes when game starts)+ Turn Time Y (minutes extra for each turn done)

System B) similar but make the time higher in the end game.

Example:

Say I play with 30 minutes+3 minutes. It means 30 minute of initial time to spend and 3 minutes extra for each turn played (adds up to the total).

One year is roughly 29 turns (14.5 turns per player). I play until 1947 i.e 8 years. That means a maximum of 30+30+8*29*3= 756 minutes i.e less than 13 hours.

[ April 19, 2004, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeed! The cool features are brought up again. Nothing like a timer, a shotclock. Players can play like chess with a "fixed game" total, OR have forced turn amounts, etc. This shouldn't be too tough to make.

Voyeur or Spectator mode. Allow people to watch the Heavyweight matches. This would be damn cool!

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Zapp --- My long time opponent, you are very correct with this idea! In real-life one must make decisions, & quickly. Remember all the bitching about slow play?

Also, in handicap tournaments we could have time handicaps.

Say a group A and a group D player meet. Group A player gets 20+1.5 and group D player gets 40+5 minutes.

Also, imagine 10+1 blitz tournament smile.gif

Originally posted by zappsweden:

1) Pre-game view:

A possibility for both players to view map, units and research before turn one begin. This prevents the host from setting up a cheating scenario.

<Well, I think that the honor system should apply here with SC2 as it always has with other games. personally if you cannot trust one then you should not play them>

2) Online spectators:

Do I even have to tell how cool it was in tournaments if ppl could watch the finals, LIVE?

Another nice thing would be to have turns like chapters on a CD. I could leave my computer for 1 hour and go back watch the latest turn and control which turns I wanna see or perhaps rewatch them from the beginning again.

Especially cool would be playing a game of SC2 and simultaneously being connected to someone elses game, watching it while waiting for your opponents turn. Ofcourse, this implies that SC2 uses more than one port for communication.

<In most Major on-line IP Games, you can be a spectator.<in fact they often disable chat and other functions so cheating or peeking isn't possible, could be a bit of a headache to program> This is most interesting for newbies and for aficianodos alike. The difference with SC being that People love to watch this game. It's very addictive to witness every move. You can always delegate a Minor to someone who'd like to watch though, as a possability at least? As far as allowing spectators, it's still a very ify Programming feat I'm sure for Hubert>

3) Replays:

Similar to online spectators, turns are stored in a file and can be loaded from the main menu when starting SC2.

<Replays would be good for SC, as I've noticed I can't play enough to learn. I have to play upwards of 200-300 games to catch every nuisance or strategy. Most Popular games have Replays of some sort, and I would love to see this feature. Way back to the Command HQ Days it was kewl to watch>

4) Timer Option:

So important. I want to avoid the 40 hour+ games. With a time limit I could play full games in 10 hours instead, more reasonable. There are good timing systems in chess.

<Given the fact that some of us will be using slower connections a Timer will have to be decided on both parties involved, a great idea though, as some of you folks take 15 minutes to finish a turn that should take 2. Reasonable request>

Proposals:

System a) Initial Time X (minutes when game starts)+ Turn Time Y (minutes extra for each turn done)

System B) similar but make the time higher in the end game.

Example:

Say I play with 30 minutes+3 minutes. It means 30 minute of initial time to spend and 3 minutes extra for each turn played (adds up to the total).

One year is roughly 29 turns (14.5 turns per player). I play until 1947 i.e 8 years. That means a maximum of 30+30+8*29*3= 756 minutes i.e less than 13 hours.

<Further remark on gametime, in Axis and Allies though the game is not similar, we have HouseRules and a Timer. Sometimes we setup that we can finish a whole game within 5-6 hours. Even less with a very able player and a good DSL/Cable Connection. 1 minute turns had it's popularity phaze and since I think fast, as some of you who've played will notice, I did well in that particular Field. I would say one of the top 10 1 minute timer players ;)

I myself, will say I hate people who take all night to finish a turn.. IP is for speed, play PBEM if you want to want to take 25 minutes per turn, or even 10 for that matter. A feature in itself that would kill the "BOREDOM" factor of waiting on a guy to do 50-100 clicks. If you're slow or disabled then let your oponent know ahead of time>

Yo, Hans, whazzzz up? Why watch a game when you can play, I'll tell you why. What if you can't play a game? You might only have 30 minutes of time & Terif is playing a Top player? Why do football teams watch game film? Why do people record their golf swings & watch them? Why do golfers watch the Master's Golf Tournament? Why do actors, comediens, & entertainers watch films of themselves & competitors? It's called a method to get better. I can't believe I need to explain this...

Hey, I know another reason I'd like to watch a game. Lets pretend you're playing Elmo, Where's Waldo, or one of your little buddies. I'd love to watch for 30 seconds for a good laugh!

Laughing now, HaHaHa. Now I remember you from a while back. Why would you waste your time reading my posts? So you can learn smile.gif

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

What's up? doesn't anybody else want to watch the big games?

No. If included, that would probably rank as the most extraneous and least used "cool" feature in the history of gaming. It's ironic the screenshots hint at a wealth of new features and options yet what topics are people discussing?

Ron

Originally posted by Ron:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

What's up? doesn't anybody else want to watch the big games?

No. If included, that would probably rank as the most extraneous and least used "cool" feature in the history of gaming. It's ironic the screenshots hint at a wealth of new features and options yet what topics are people discussing?

Ron </font>

A timer would be nice(even though I only PBEM, but I could see nice uses for it against the AI making the game harder)

Being able to replay a complete game is also a nice feature(download them, watch, and learn)

Live watching isn't for me, but others might like it.

I think it should come down to programming time.

I'd choose the timer option first, then the next two. If its easy for Hubert to do all of them then great, but if it takes him two weeks of only programming this, then no.