Bigger map of Western Europe in the make ?

Is any of the beta-testers writing a map of Western europe on a bigger grid then the original ?

A map where -for instance- every hex on the original map would be replaced by 4 or 9 hexes ? Perhaps with eliminating northern Europe and Africa for more space ?

I would be most intrested in such a map and would be willing to spend quite some time in playtesting it against an AI.

Actually, I've spent some time working on an Advanced Third Reich adaptation which is about double the scale of the original (2 tiles per hex, which will compensate for lack of stacking). The larger scale will allow for more units and should result in a better sense of operational maneuver, or at least a different sense. It's just one of several "other" little projects I'm messing with in the spare time Hubert allows us. ;)

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Stop hacking the game. Hacking is not allowed, I don't care if this is just a wet dream of yours or not.

Hacking ? Who said anything about hacking ? Did anyone heard me say anything about hacking ?

I meant with the editor.

No need to start bashing me and using that kind of language.

[ March 04, 2006, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: TaoJah ]

Originally posted by TaoJah:

Is any of the beta-testers writing a map of Western europe on a bigger grid then the original ?

A map where -for instance- every hex on the original map would be replaced by 4 or 9 hexes ? Perhaps with eliminating northern Europe and Africa for more space ?

I would be most intrested in such a map and would be willing to spend quite some time in playtesting it against an AI.

Everyone has played a little with the editor, but I think pzgdr takes the prize for biggest map.

I made a small change to the standard map, in terms of having more tiles North and South, but nothing like you ask. Being a small crew of testers, I was pretty busy testing the 39 campaign.

Originally posted by pzgndr:

Actually, I've spent some time working on an Advanced Third Reich adaptation which is about double the scale of the original (2 tiles per hex, which will compensate for lack of stacking). The larger scale will allow for more units and should result in a better sense of operational maneuver, or at least a different sense. It's just one of several "other" little projects I'm messing with in the spare time Hubert allows us. ;)

Very interesting. Third Reich is still to my humble opinion the best grand strategy game ever made (we will see SC2, of course ;) ). I don’t think that anyone can simulate 3R very well in any existing game so far but I would like to hear more about this.

vveedd:

Very interesting. Third Reich is still to my humble opinion the best grand strategy game ever made (we will see SC2, of course ). I don’t think that anyone can simulate 3R very well in any existing game so far but I would like to hear more about this.

I would agree,

Having played it alla way through

Many times, yep, A3R is the class

Of the Genre,

Thus far anyhow.

If ANYONE can adapt it to the unique and quite innovative SC-2 engine & caboose,

Bill Macon can... make them tracks

Run straight and true.

Also looking forward to seeing

What he can do. :cool:

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Well can you then explain how you can use the editor when you dont got the game yet?

I asked the beta-testers if they were doing it.

Looks like some are smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

And more hexes north and south are another possible add-on, but I like to focus on the core front : all those extra little fronts north and south aren't my style, to be honest.

Altough it would be nice to have Casablanca :)

TaoJah:

Altough it would be nice to have Casablanca :)

With this powerful Editor,

You can re-build Rik's Cafe Americain,

casablanca18.jpg

And have Ilsa dancing to Sam's Play-again piano... draped in shades of bleu,

She is a special one well worth the fight

For love & glory, all the while

The GErman Army advances on Paris, dark & dull In feld-grau.

Actually,

No need to wish and wonder what,

Or how.

Soon enough you yourself

Can make the very campaign YOU

Would prefer.

It's really, REALLY easy to do

And great FUN besides.

You'll soon enough see what I mean. :cool:

[ March 04, 2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

Casablanca is on my map smile.gif .

I have not touched anything AI related, WAY too much work involved.

As we stated the editor gives you the ability to make a completly NEW game and so if you intend to make it single player it will take you twice if not three times more time because you will have to test over and over and create the appropriate scripts.

We had and have enough work just working on game for the standard camapaign.

Originally posted by pzgndr:

Nice!

Originally posted by Blashy:

I have not touched anything AI related, WAY too much work involved.

As we stated the editor gives you the ability to make a completly NEW game and so if you intend to make it single player it will take you twice if not three times more time because you will have to test over and over and create the appropriate scripts.

We had and have enough work just working on game for the standard camapaign.

That's fine, it is just good to see that it is possible, difficult perhaps, but possible...thanks....

Originally posted by Blashy:

That's good. Is it on the map in the standard scenarios?

If not I really think you guys should include it so operation torch is at least POSSIBLE to conduct.

It's hard landing in western africa without a port or city.

have any of the testers tried building a basic AI for a mod?
No, not yet. If you haven't noticed, we have not said much about the AI because some things are still being implemented and adjusted. Once things are "final" for release and we have a better chance to understand what's happening and why with the AI scripts, then we'll be able to work on some mods. I expect we'll not be too much farther ahead on the learning curve than everyone else once the game gets released.