Defensive Axis Strategy

I`m not quite sure wether this works vs Human, but vs. highest level AI this works out quite well:

- take the whole Med including Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal.. as well as Mid East

- Fortify Casablanca, Alexandria, France and the east german Border (down to the hills in northern Romania)

- get Sweden and Norway as well.. than you get Finnland for free usually

I think it won`t work out against an experienced human player, but who knows..

Originally posted by Hyazinth von Strachwitz:

I`m not quite sure wether this works vs Human, but vs. highest level AI this works out quite well:

- take the whole Med including Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal.. as well as Mid East

- Fortify Casablanca, Alexandria, France and the east german Border (down to the hills in northern Romania)

- get Sweden and Norway as well.. than you get Finnland for free usually

I think it won`t work out against an experienced human player, but who knows..

Playing as Axis only last night,

Until too late, as usual

Since so much to do!

In order to TRY and wrest control

Of Libya mind you,

From marauding Desert Rats.

V 1.05,

Intermediate, + 0.5

And it is already?

July of 1941.

D-rats have Tobruk surrounded,

Unremitting bombardment

With 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 pounders!

FM Rommel?

Back at AK HQ, near El Aghiela.

Could hardly get Afrika Korps

Across the Med... to Tripoli.

Port of Tobruk?

Forget it.

Italian Navy has already lost:

2 BB's

1 CA

HvS,

I think yer gonna need a bigger boat,

The sharks are roiling the waters. ;)

As I said... when you play that strategy against Hellraiser or Terif, you won`t be too successful. I wonder how some of the better players would solve that problem.

When you play that strategy against the AI, the russians bleed themselves white on the east german border... but of course a human player (even a mediocre one) isn´t so stupid :)

[ October 30, 2006, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Hyazinth von Strachwitz ]

As I've said,

I am EQUALLY concerned

To let the SOLO players

IN on - the fast action reactions. :cool:

HvsH

Ain't the only game going blue blazes

In most-amazing! SC Town,

Though,

Some suppose it's ONLY so.

Yep,

AI is gettin' better 'n better n' better

Is what I was sayin' smile.gif

I'm not really sure this is exactly what you mean, but I suppose defensive play is keeping an army group (HQ+4 or 5 units with good offensive punch) in reserve plus spare MPP to operate it fast plus only taking countries that support such deployment plus maybe infrastructure.

Then tempt the Allies into premature invasions and counterpunch hard.

Other defensive strategies? For me long range air fits in - being aware of Allied build ups pretty much always allows you to trash invasions. Rather than rebuild your air for airsupremacy (drains MPP, reveals location) keep it grounded (it can still spot, yes?) and use the remnants as spotters?

It's possible to defend against the Russians, that's for sure.

You can use fortifications for that. On turn one, sell the Italian research chit and don't use any Italian money at all, untill you got tenough to buy an engineer.

Once that engineer arrive, operate it to the German-Russian border and let it make fortifications, with just one side. You can build up to four forts like that before the Russians join, if you're careful with DOW other countries.

In the mean time, buy 5 chits in Advanced Inafntry with the Germans and then all corps. Place the corps behind the river around Copenhagen, in the forts in the middle and on the mountains in the south.

The AI will never, ever break this line. EVER.

The best defence in the west is to do a Sealion. Even if you don't get Cairo, just taking the UK mainland is a bullet-proof way to ensure that D-Day will be alot weaker because he can not bomb your entrenched troops in the French cities and thus he can not take them in turn one. Plus you can transport units in after D-Day.

No supply for him + reinforcements for you = a failed D-Day.

Of course, the BEST defence against D-Day is to knock the UK out of the war. Then you can move your entire German and Italian fleet towards the US, take out his ships and just attack every amphiby he makes.

[ October 30, 2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: TaoJah ]

Originally posted by n0kn0k:

I always wondered if it's possible just to ignore the sovjets when playing the AI. And take out the USA tongue.gif Still on my TODO list.

I did this in my last game... the National Guard cost me my Italian and Spanish battle groups but the Germans hung on and eventually crushed the feeble US defence. My defensive line on the Soviet border never flinched; indeed it was the training ground for my most experienced troops.

It is possible to defend in this way.. Kill and run, like Manny did in Russia, manuever your defense.. would you call that more of a static defense? I think so... Kill of 5-10 enemy units, then dry him in a position than is unworkable..even if it costs you you replace your units and thus keep the bleeding but in attrittion warfare you best bleed him more than yourself and as Axis much more ;)