What makes SC2 so great?

This actually goes for both games. I was thinking while playing the game recently what makes this series so friggin' fun? In my opinion, the crowning achievement of the series is its simplicity with complexity. Let me explain.

When people think of wargames, as I have, I imagine a bunch of numbers and factors that I have to consider every single time I decide to attack, move, defend, etc. Weather, morale, supplies, experience, command, entrenchment, rivers, mountains, fortifications, flanking, organization, how many cigarettes your men have this month, etc.

Hubert managed to keep all of these things in the game while making it so unbelievably simple to understand and process while playing. I can, with a quick glance, look at a unit and estimate its ability to attack or defend. Then its simply a matter of two mouse clicks to attack. It's really amazing that with a game of this scope how you can, over the course of the game, just have a "sense" about the entire picture on every turn. Where you are weak, where you are strong and what you feel you need to do in all of those situations. I never feel like I don't have a complete understanding of the state of the war, from individual units to entire fronts.

Anyway, what is the one thing all of you feel is the "thing" that makes SC 1 and 2 the game that it is? The scope, of course, is right up there in 2nd place. smile.gif

It's hardly any of that. It's an amatuers guide to WW2. It's nothing like the real scope. It however gives you a fake feal of perhaps being an ArmChair General at the best... ;) and that my friend is worth it to us.

I know that I'd be imcompetent as a real General, I do not understand the first thing. Not the order of command nor the simple Geneva Convention.

Even though plenty of these Leaders apparently didn't know either as well tongue.gif

I agree completely. Hubert has hit upon a way to keep all of the realism and details that you would want in a grand strategy game, but still make the game accessible to the gamer.

When you play SC, stuff just seems to make sense. I don't find myself having to consult the manual every few minutes, yet, it's not because the game has been dumbed-down into some fancy version of Risk.

That's the other thing I think that works for SC. When I play it, I feel like I am presented with the same problems/dilemas/opportunities that were presented to the high commands during WWII.

Every time I play, I get a better understanding of the things I read about WWII.

This is why SC and SC2 are the only war games I play. I really do not enjoy the micro managing required of other games.

I easily converted two people who had no prior interest in wargaming.

I'm looking forward to showing it to another friend of mine.

Best of all, not !@#$% dice rolls to see if you live or die, hehe.

Many of us grew up hearing about WWII and its leaders and what each country did or didnt do that played a role in their winning or losing the war.

Being back there and being able to control a whole country and its war powers is something many of us enjoy.

WWII is probably the most talked about war in history.

WW2 is most talked about not because it is the most recent, but because it was trully a WW event.

Although everyone has their favorite periods.

Mine is the Roman empire, 500 years of so much land control and loosing it all because of arrogance is amazing.

Blashy!!! that's what that Brain-Dead 'Moron' Bush is doing right now!...what you just said...read below!.

Mine is the Roman empire, 500 years of so much land control and loosing it all because of arrogance is amazing.
If some serious changes do not take place soon!, The United States will no-longer be what it-was, ... it will, instead become a declining Military World Power,...and start to show signs of becoming a 3-world nation.

In Part due to letting in an additional 1/2 Million Mexicans EACH YEAR,...to take Americans jobs away from them!.

A carpenter said," I used to work for $21.00/Hr,...now my propective employer tells me that the Mexican's will do carpentry work for $8:00/Hr!.

Alright, alright. No need to hijack the thread praising Hubert's game. Back on track...

The 2nd, but a close 1st, is how Hubert managed to give us the experience of making the high level (and mid level) decisions of directing the war. As JameyCribbs said, we're presented with the opportunities and dilemma's that were there during the war. Do we go along with history, deviate a bit or try something completely different?