Do any of the playtesters research Ground Laying Radar?

"I wonder if any of the playtesters ever researched Ground Laying Radar - to improve the strength of their surface naval units. "

Now Edwin don't be trying to confuse the newbies here.

As a matter of fact my GLR research resides on either side of my nose(nasal not naval) and of late its been getting a tad bit foggy from time to time. ;)

Now I did get a kick up a level using some of my PPMs (personal pocket money)for a couple of clear radar dishes and now when I'm laying on the ground the Moon, Stars and Sun are in total focus and I do feel a lot more secure in my position, even when I'm on one of my naval vessels(surfboards).

So I conclude that yes indeed, Ground Laying Radar is a good investment. tongue.gif

[ March 20, 2006, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

GLR?

If you want some Mega FirePower on your Ships you must use that. The Germans had awesome FirePower on their Cruisers, made them formidable against the Royal Navy. I'd think it an essential tool. The Italians, Japanese and Russians will be naturally behind here. The advanced Nations in Radar are England, USA and Germany.

I have tried some naval strategies with GLR research. In one early game I had Italy investing in GLR from the start and managed to get up to L2 by war entry. And yes, the UK Royal Navy was sure surprised. But it was a pyrrhic victory since the research costs and naval losses prevented too much investment in other important areas. Good, bad, who knows? Players can try things out and see; that's the whole idea. GLR does improve shore bombardments, which the Allies will want in later years.

Most countries will start campaigns with various tech levels and some chits invested. At-start chits are not unassigned. Players are free to cash them in at 50% value and reinvest in other areas of course.

Originally posted by Mr.Dozer:

why do you have to destroy a chit, why not just move it to another place. arent they just scientists. so they work on a new project

Research invested in say infrantry weapons is very much different than say long range air.

So you will have a loss if you stop researching in one field. A 50% loss works good for the game.

I have done one game of extensive GLR and sub research. I kicked the Allied navy cold but stopping D-Day is still difficult, you have to cover so much water and UKs air can spot you pretty bad.

Honestly, I've yet to work out a sound naval strategy for the Axis, but historically that was close to impossible, then again, 1000s of players will be playing the game and someone just might figure one out.

your right Blashy, 50 because of the new field and not a 100% because you still keep scientist.

Rambo do you ever have anything good to say or what.

the only german strategy for navy i think would be the sub idea. so you can sink mmps, they are the cheapest, hard to spot with air, they can dodge attacks, good attack. so the best plan i think. a battleship or cruiser i would think would just get sunk to easy for to much mmps.

Also with those subs you might get the chance to stop john rambo from bothering people in future.

Originally posted by Mr.Dozer:

Also with those subs you might get the chance to stop john rambo from bothering people in future.

Why do you insult Rambo? What has he ever done to you? Just because he once replied to you, you get goose bumbs and must play offended? Stop this charade...you wanna be his friend but have a hard time with him beeing such a well known person here. But I'll tell you what, just tell him how it is that you want to be a part of his team....