I've been looking at this game for a while. The ai has been discussed as being not very good, the game only good for multi-play. Some discussions lately point to a better ai. Since I never play multi, this is important. So, how is it now?

If I buy the disk sc2 along with waw, will I need to put the disk in every time to play? Also, will it come with a printed manual for sc2/waw?

Thanks, Rich

You don't need the disk to play.

The AI is one of the best, if not the best in the turn based wargaming scene.

Dunno about the manual, I got the download version atm.

Waiting for the regular to come in.

The previous SC2 came with a paper manual though.

All good do far. Maybe someone knows about the manual.

Couple more questions. I tried the demo a year or so ago and it looked like the res was frozen at 1024x768 so not much of the area could be seen. Now it looks like there are different resolutions available. My satellite crashed, I now have dialup so I can't download large files like the demo anymore.

Also, it looks like sc2 and waw are separate games, not compatible with each other. True? So maybe you choose which you want on a main menu?

It can run any resolution, both SC2 and WaW.

I'm running at 2560x1600 ;)

You can also run it in windowed mode nowadays.

You get 2 separate icons for each game.

Basically it are 2 separate games, however you need the original SC2 to run WaW, hence it's called an expansion.

Originally posted by n0kn0k:

It can run any resolution, both SC2 and WaW.

I'm running at 2560x1600 ;)

You can also run it in windowed mode nowadays.

You get 2 separate icons for each game.

Basically it are 2 separate games, however you need the original SC2 to run WaW, hence it's called an expansion.

nOknOk how do you get that high resolution as it seems the settings do not go up that high with SC2?

That's because your monitor probably doesn't support it ;)

I've got a 30" Dell screen here smile.gif You don't find those in common home desktops.

SC2 and WaW can use any setting your gfx card and monitor support.

In case you're curious how the eastern front looks on my screen. (2,6mb)

http://www.n0kn0k.nl/sc2/waw1.png

[ November 04, 2007, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: n0kn0k ]

rich12545 you can do the DLs. I'm on dialup also and I do my downloads overnight. Got the WaW demo, got the 1.08 patch, even got the SC2+expansion. Sometimes it takes 11 hours.

Have patience, set it up and go to bed. Next morning perform the installation. Occasionally I have to do it twice as I'll catch a disconnect or a corruption during the first download.

So what, its two days out of a lifetime and I'm asleep anyway. Didn't miss a thing.

rich12545,

The game has seen many AI improvements as this was the primary focus for the latest expansion. For reference here are a few Developer Diary entries based on feedback from Beta testers during development:

http://www.battlefront-newsletter.com/Blogfront/tabid/55/EntryID/86/Default.aspx

http://www.battlefront-newsletter.com/Blogfront/tabid/55/EntryID/84/Default.aspx

Hope this helps,

Hubert

I picked up SC2 WAW a week ago and can't put it down. The lure of "just one more turn" has resulted in me crawling into bed past midnight on several occasions. Even then, I'm still thinking about my next move and what diabolical scheme the AI has hatched against me.

The comparison between SC2 and chess is apt. The game is fairly easy to play but the strategies are quite diverse and deep. Read some of the AARs to get an idea.

I'm quite the novice playing Allies in the 1939 Fall Weiss campaign and the Axis forces are providing ample challenge. Notably the AI is adept at maths and is able to pound my defences at the weakest locations or flank me to snap up undefended resources. I was praying for the onset of winter in 1941. The Siberians reinforcements are timely but it's a long way to Berlin.

The AI difficulty has a 5 step difficulty range and additional experience bonuses can also be enabled.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Cheers to Hubert and his merry band of playtesters. Great job. smile.gif

Rob

[ November 05, 2007, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Ricochet67 ]

It looks like the ai has been significantly improved. The blogs were very interesting. I'm still trying to download the demo and hopefully will be able to get it soon.

In the meantime, if anyone has any information on the printed manual that would be appreciated.