Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

My tip on how to play your first game of SC2, if you ever played SC1.

Just try it without the user manual or looking at ANYTHING else, like the script files.

This will give you the best experience at discovering new things. I guarantee it. That is what I did when I first got on the beta and for the 1st 2 hours I kept finding out some sweet things.

Best of all... try the cookie cutter ;) .

I'm sorry... isn't the alternative to this thought to receive your game, settle in for a long night of studying the glossy manual, and then waiting until the next morning to being your first, well informed game?

Really... who's gonna do THAT after the wait!

Bring it on! rip it open, and put it in the CD drive!!!!!!!!!

JP

FWIW, the printed User Manual will be about 150 pages. Sure, go ahead and play the game without skimming the manual if you want. Most features will be intuitive for SC1 players, but many will not. When you start scratching your head about stuff, then please go read the manual. It's got just about every detail discussed someplace. ;)

I never read the manual for any of the games, lol. Back in the old days, the only time I ever opened a manual was to fill in those silyl test-words like "the 5th word on page 17" to advance a level or so.

It's much more fun to try stuff out on your own and see if you can beat the AI without all the nitty gritty finetuning details.

Once you start playing against others, though, you got to know everything, ofcourse.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pzgndr:

It's got just about every detail discussed someplace. ;)

I'll definitely second this and happily add that Bill did an excellent job putting together this manual for you guys. A fantastic read smile.gif </font>

Having, um, 'skimmed' the manual now, I absolutely agree. One of the best I've ever seen for a game.
Thank you! I'm not about to quit my day job for full time wargame User Manual writing, but some days I'm tempted. ;)

Btw, there's already a lengthy updates and errata file for the User Manual included with the game. It's been a royal challenge to keep up with all of the changes, let me tell ya. And we're not finished yet!

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jon Patrick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

no we the commuinity exists because we are cool dudes, crap boy!

crap boy?

WTF does this mean? </font>

Originally posted by pzgndr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Having, um, 'skimmed' the manual now, I absolutely agree. One of the best I've ever seen for a game.

Thank you! I'm not about to quit my day job for full time wargame User Manual writing, but some days I'm tempted. ;)

</font>

Originally posted by Jon Patrick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pzgndr:

It's got just about every detail discussed someplace. ;)

I'll definitely second this and happily add that Bill did an excellent job putting together this manual for you guys. A fantastic read smile.gif </font>