Whattaya think of this system?

The Intel Dual-Cores produce enormous amounts of heat, consuming equivalent power.

This PSU in that machine is insufficient and the cooling in that small case is probably insifficient to make it stable and/or very very loud.

Graphics of course not gameable.

For game, AMD systems at the same price perform better in any case.

With an eye on the near future, something 500 watts or more.

Your potential machine specs a PCI-express slot, and assuming you want an NVidia card... (this gives you visible fog in battles that have fog, ATI cards won't...)

6600GT - 8 pipes, ~ $115

6800GS - 12 pipes, ~ $190

7800GT - 20 pipes, ~ $275

7800GTX - 24 pipes, ~ $450

I have played CM with on-board IntelExtreme Graphics2, and it's possible, just ugly. Like, I mistook that sheep for my girlfriend ugly...

[ January 16, 2006, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Ahhh...gotcha. I wasn't really familiar with the Intel GMA 950, thought it might be decent. I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE in my current machine and I like it OK, but it's an AGP card. I'd want something at the very least comparible to that, performance-wise. The 6800GS looks like it might be the one.

Yeah, the XFX factory-overclocked 6800GS is the way to go, unless you can get a 7800GT. PS looks good.

I did buy my laptop from TigerDirect, but do all my shopping at NewEgg now, mostly because of the $ combined with excellent service. They don't blink an eye when you need to return a stick of memory, etc.

Let us know how you make out...

I can't see any reason this PS wouldn't work in the new one. It's SATA ready, SLI ready, 20+4 connector, supports PCI Express... looks like a nice match.

I'm thinking about getting everything in one shot so I don't have to wait around. I'll let ya know how it works out and I appreciate the recommendations. Thanks!

Yeah, not sure if it's about the 8xxx cards or not - they should be launching the 16-pipe 7800GS any time now.

Same goes for the AMD 940 socket update - Q2 '06- introducing DD2 mem support and other improvements. I'm about to do a big mobo/vid/CPU crossover, but may get a AGP 6800GS (current is a FX5900, Barton XP, NForce2 mobo) as an interim solution. Still want to purchase a San Diego(or maybe dual? 4400x2?), 939 mobo, 7800GT setup but will be 1/2 price when M2 AMD procs & mobos are released...

The real question is also - big update for what? Still waiting for 1C/Maddox's "WWII RTS", CM's only true competition, which won't be released for another few months. Will play the demo for CMSF, but not truly interested in modern warfare (please, no hate mail.) Not a flight sim guy, so... not desperate for the hardware. The 6800GS would get me by for awhile...

[ January 16, 2006, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Hpt. Lisse ]

Yeah, I'm probably going to go ahead with the 6800GS. People have been talking about the 7800 cards coming down in price for a few months now. Don't wanna try to muddle through with the onboard graphics for very long. I haven't even been able to try CoD2 or BiA yet due to system limitations...

From what I can see, XFX is providing a molex power splitter. If you have an unused molex power connection, then it isn't necessary. If you don't, then you can plug this splitter into a currently used connection (by unconnecting what it is connected to) and plugging the splitter on and then plugging one of the plugs back into the device and then the other one onto the GeForce 6800GS. If you already have a spare molex connection, then you can just store this splitter away for whenever you may need it.

You definitely need to plug in a molex power connector onto the videocard. Without it, the videocard will not get enough power. This could result in shutdowns at any point, but particularly when attempting to play a 3D game.

If the video card has two molex connectors it needs both connected.

If it only has one they only included the splitter in case you don't have a spare connectors.

About the PSU: to judge anything I would need the vendor who actually built it and the individual power ratings for 12 V, 5 V and 3.3 V. There should be a sticker on the PSU telling this.

I wouldn't get a gateway-crap PC-I'm

surprised you lasted this long with

that p-111-900MHZ.

Even with a baseline AMD64 singlecore

with AGP would beet that piece of crap.

But as said-AMD64-X2-4400 DC-

7800GT-$300.00

Mobo-PCI-E-Asus-Nforce4-SLI

Premiun.skt-939

That bad boy with combine 2-7800GT's

with 16x x 2=32x plus 40-pipelines-

Geil-ram from new egg-PC3200DC 1-Gig

$80.00 2-Gigs-$170.00.

Even id you didn't go with that-you still

can go single-PCI-E-with 7800GTX/GT...

PCpower&cooling.com 510Deluxe is the best

power supply @ about $180.00...

Gateway crap-I suggest not to go with them..

I've known poeple with gateways and nothing

but problems...

If you go prepitory PC maker-go with Dell

with Pent-D's...

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

I wouldn't get a gateway-crap PC-I'm

surprised you lasted this long with

that p-111-900MHZ.

Even with a baseline AMD64 singlecore

with AGP would beet that piece of crap.

But as said-AMD64-X2-4400 DC-

7800GT-$300.00

Mobo-PCI-E-Asus-Nforce4-SLI

Premiun.skt-939

That bad boy with combine 2-7800GT's

with 16x x 2=32x plus 40-pipelines-

Geil-ram from new egg-PC3200DC 1-Gig

$80.00 2-Gigs-$170.00.

Even id you didn't go with that-you still

can go single-PCI-E-with 7800GTX/GT...

PCpower&cooling.com 510Deluxe is the best

power supply @ about $180.00...

Gateway crap-I suggest not to go with them..

I've known poeple with gateways and nothing

but problems...

If you go prepitory PC maker-go with Dell

with Pent-D's...

Well...it may be a piece of crap, but it's running good so far. :cool:

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

Well you are one of the lucky ones just

wanted to make sure you don't waste your money..

I've known just about 5-2 just recently have had

problems-also we had a gateway PC store

about 5miles from me-but it closed...

I do hope that your PC runs a long time-

With all do respect....

No worries... I'm used to hearing "Gateways are crap" by now. My old one lasted over five years though, so I'm not quite so down on 'em.