I dont understand two things. :( Please help

Hi,

im a strategic commander from the first hour the game was available as demo but i could not participate on the suggestion Threads on SC2 because my lack of english language. So please forgive me the following questions if they already answered in the SC1 Forum.

1. Why are the hexes changed to tiles? What is the advantage in Gameplay? And what are the disadvanteges?

2. My greatest hope for SC2 was a worldwide map or at least two big maps in one game like in the "World at War" Boardgame.

Why is it not possible to do that in SC?

Thank for your friendly help

All the Best and a great SC-Winter 2004 to all

Roland

1. There are a few reasons that have to do with the new graphics engine, i.e. going with the new 2-D isometric look, but there are some game play advantages as well. I realize it's hard to break the mold sometimes, even I had to convince myself to abandon hexes, but change isn't always easy.

Some of the advantages are that movement can be commenced in 8 directions as opposed to 6 with hexes:

move_iso01.jpg

Plus it will also help in regards to some of the notorious stalemate situations found on vertical fronts, as you can now attack with 3 units as opposed to 2 in SC1:

attack_iso01.jpg

There are probably other reasons/advantages but since it's been a while since I've switched over, you'll have to forgive me ;)

2. I won't say that anything is possible with the SC2 Editor, but huge/world maps are certainly conceivable.

Hubert

[ April 14, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

APs should stay the same. Unlike hexes there is this slight movement "advantage" along diagonals when squares are used. But this isn't chess. You've got an assortment of units moving all over the place, with terrain considerations, and with the enemy to orient on. So it's not like you gain much by moving diagonally for the sake of "extra movement." I expect when we're all lined up on the Russian Front fighting tooth and nail that nobody's going to be too concerned about tiles versus hexes.