Rebuying damaged units

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

There should be a "Population pool" at the beginning of the game. At the end of the war, the Nazis were stuffing uniforms with old men & kids.

"Remember, a pint of blood is worth more than a gallon of gold".

Damn, the blood bank has been screwing me.

LOL @Lars yea I would be rich smile.gif But I do understand Rambos point and tend to agree with him. I think a population pool makes more since then a unit number resrtriction. This would also give us a little more flexability in how we want our army to be, heavy in armor, or infintry or air etc. When you run out of people you run out of 'new' armys. Have each nation start the game with a base population then add in more each year to reflect population growth.

Originally posted by Fubarno:

Take for example the German 6th army at Stalingrad. Yes, in the last days of the encirclement some select few were flown out of the bastion to form the core for a new 6th army, but it couldn't have been more than a hundred and this wouldn't be enough in terms of this strategic game to warrant a lower cost to reconstitute. The 6th army was destroyed, I think we can all agree, despite clinging onto the ruins of Stalingrad until the end.

Actually, about 25,000 wounded were flown out too. More than enough for a cadre.

Originally posted by Rolend:

LOL @Lars yea I would be rich smile.gif But I do understand Rambos point and tend to agree with him. I think a population pool makes more since then a unit number resrtriction. This would also give us a little more flexability in how we want our army to be, heavy in armor, or infintry or air etc. When you run out of people you run out of 'new' armys. Have each nation start the game with a base population then add in more each year to reflect population growth.

Well, then we can start the argument on women in the military. ;)

See above though. A lot of soldiers returned to duty after being wounded many times. I think the current system works fine.

Oh I agree Lars really no need to tweak it now, just thinking out loud. Just with a popultion pool you could also have it so the fewer people in the pool the lower your national MPP reflecting less labor for the war machine and more in troops. ....

Naaaa never mind what a can of worms that would become the current system works well enough.

If a unit is in a city that is totally surrounded by enemy units and/or enemy zones-of-control, and lets say the unit is down to supply 1 then it's destroyed. Does that unit now go back into the full cost build queue of available units, or is gone forever?

In short, does a unit have to be able to trace back to a friendly capital to qualify to not be gone forever?

Bob

It goes back to full cost, not gone forever. No tracing back needed.

As for Softbuild limits, they skew the game way too much in favor of the Germans (tons of cheap corps) and IMHO make it unrealistic, eliminating one of Germany's biggest weakness... manpower.