Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Exploit #2 Minor Conquoring Morale too High

You get up to 150-175% Morale increase if you take down 2 Minors at once? hmmmmm, I wonder if Germany after conqouring Petty Norway and Denmark would've had troops that were 50% higher morale than is possible? The equation makes no sense on a Strength 10 unit and is a flaw within the game engine that should be altered to reflect reality...

No Morale would ever be lifted for something of that magnitude, now conquor the USSR-UK, France... sure...

But Tunisia? LOL Denmark? Did that even require German Infantry? Or did they just politely ask for an unconditional surrender? Besides ever seen what 150% morale does to an enemy unit? Jesus!

And how would this hurt Allied Morale, I would think they'd be more determined to fight back, increasing their own morale, depending on which nation...

The whole system is backwards, needs revamping, then again this could be already addressed?

I am not sure how many countries you would have to conquer to get 370 morale. 3 gets you to 170-200ish morale. Generally, I would be in favor of having Belgium and Netherlands as separate countries, but you would have the Belgium/Netherlands/Denmark taken out in one turn making France that much easier to take, or someone holding off on all 3 until the invasion of USSR.

I am sorta mixed on the morale issue. It lasts 2 turns, and if you know your opponent, you can work to counter it by helping against invasion (hard), or keep yourself in position to take one or two minors on your turn (easy).

Yes, morale from surrendered/liberated countries definitely needs a change. Has already been mentioned in the tech forum and Hubert is taking a look at it: See here

With the start of Barbarossa and a second time with USA joining there will be a series of surrendering countries which boosts morale into vertiginous highs...when both events come together morale goes through the roof ;) .

Another big problem with this is that the side on the winning street will be even more boosted when it conquers additional countries or liberates them, so the enemy will have an even tougher time to put up a defence and eventually turn the tide.

So it increases the danger of the already superior offensive doctrin in SC2 that if one side is in the offensive it merely can´t be stopped any more when morale boosts support them even more...definitely a change is needed here.

Question is how to change it...

Simply reducing the effect at all and/or for specific countries (e.g. no effect from Denmark, Tunisia, Algeria...) is one good possibility.

Additonally it can also be introduced a cap - so in one turn it can only be increased lets say once, no matter how many countries fall in that turn...or a limit for the units itself (e.g. 150% max morale they can reach). Let´s see for which solution Hubert decides smile.gif .

I would propose a different system to deal with this matter:

1. Small increments in attacking country's morale (say 5-7%) and small decrements of the other side's units (5-7%)

2. A maximum cap of morale (Terif's ideea of 150% seems ok).

3. Only troops of 'parent' country should be affected by the morale drop. (i.e. if Axis DOW and capture Iraq, only western allied powers' units should be affected - since USA has no 'children', it should be affected by the loss of UK-'children'. This way, the tactic of dowing half of the map previous to Barbarossa for morale gains would be less advantageous - you do it mainly for more mpps and less for morale (the vast majority of those minors are pro UK) and prevents ridiculous situation when a lousy 400 morale army hits 10-0 an entr. 4 red unit.

4. DOW and capture by Axis of minors which have a default affiliation to Axis (denmark, Norway, etc) should not drop the morale of allied units only increase slightly the morale of Axis' troops. Viceversa is applicable to the allied side.

Honestly I really don't see much historical justification

for this rule/syndrome. Maybe the German Army got

all uppity after France fell but I doubt that a corps

in East Prussia started having keg parties after

Greece surrendered. Make the effect local (and

smaller of course) on only those units within the

borders of the surrendering country, and lasts no

more than 3-6 turns.

Yeah, but just because your morale is high, doesn't stop bullets from going thru your chest. Maybe hearing about countries falling would motivate the underdog to fight harder?

How about hearing about concentration camps would motivate the Allies. How about hearing the Germans shooting prisoners at Malmody, that would motivate the US Troops. How about hearing "Nuts" to a surrender offer, that would motivate the Yanks.