Russian first winter effects

In hindsight, knowing the historical effect, won't that take some of the "intangible" unknowns out of the game?

In the interest of simulating history, do you think the commanders were aware of how profound the effect could be and be poised to take advantage?

My opinion is this should be as random as possible in the context of an historical simulation.

But you're right, the sequence you suggest would maximize the effect for the Russians.

How about doing both ideas...Have the effect hit (randomly) after the German turn (or at Russia's start) as Arado stated, but not announce it to the Russian player, so they would not know. Of course I guess all the Russian player would need to do, is some probing attacks to see if it hit. Of course if it didn't hit yet, your Russian unit is dead.

Under the current method, it does similate the losses (guns, men, etc.) and Russia does have an idea on when its going to hit. Do to balancing issues, I don't think the Russian player has enough to counter attack in Winter 41. (Under normal circumstances.)

Yeah....?? Maybe, but if the USSR bides their time, accepts the loss of Moscow and Leningrad by diverting Axis forces into that arena, they can be stopped dead at the gates of Stalingrad.

In 1942, just as it was historically. The trick is get them to go north.

I've generally found that when the winter strikes I'm hard pushed to reinforce all the Axis units affected, so that a canny Soviet player should be able to take advantage somewhere.

Plus there's the loss in readiness and morale to take into account.

The Russian's, i believe had a slight operating-advantage during the Winter, as they were well used/acclimated to the situation at hand!. As are Canadian's, since many Canadian cities are at nearly the same Latitude/Longitude???...that the Russian cities are~!.

The German's & most European's usually experienced less aggressive winter's,...and so were not used to them like the Russian's were!.

Check your WWII history to see if this was not so!.

Winter strike after Germany turn can't help Russia to counter attack in Winter 41 in normal game. It's slightly advantage but can be also trap because in few turns of bad weather Russia haven't time to advance significantly and have to expose their units

to German airforce and can take heavy losses in German counter attack.