Air Power Should Prevent Arial Recon

V1.05 - changed FoW for Land units spotting units at sea. Now all land units, with the exception of Bombers, will spot Naval units at 1/2 their current spotting range, i.e. AF spotting range might already be reduced due to weather effects etc., all other spotting

remains the same... should make the "cat and mouse" (Desert Dave) naval game a bit more interesting

Well Edwin, that puts us halfway there. Maybe a little shove from the forum gets the adoption of the adjacent tile spotting rule for land units.

The more I think about it, I come up with only enhancements to gameplay with this reduced land unit spotting. Really brings air recon to the forefront. Might just serve to get them spread out a little more and not so concentrated into those devastating groups.

Now you would need some infrastructure tech to reduce their(AFs&Bmbrs) operative moves(MPP cost) around the map to take advantage of that very important recon aspect.

As it comes to mind, wasn't the recon role one of the first most important uses of aircraft, like balloons in the Civil War. Think about it, they haven't lost much in that mission's importance even today.

Originally posted by Retributar:

While were on the subject of 'Spotting', Naval vessels should have a spotting range of '2' at sea in 'Good-Weather' & a Spotting Range of '1' in Bad-Weather...as well as a spotting range of '1' in-land!.

They do have a spotting range of 1 in land.

A tile is many kilometers square, you don't see that far with the naked eye and that's pretty much all they had back then.

Also, the earth is round and when your at sea you can see this effect, it will affect your range of sight... by reducing it.

I think the fleets shouldn't see more than one square at least historically for the reason Blashy mentioned; earth is round. Historically Air Craft carriers could have longer spotting range, say 2 in bad weather and 3 or 4 in good at sea, and maybe range 2 for land?

It just occured to me that in very-bad weather, there should be no-way to spot a fleet at all, unless your fleet run's into it!.

Ever watch the show 'Tora Tora Tora!',...that Japanese fleet heading toward's Midway, was untrackable in the Storm!.

Whynot we incorporate this feature into SC2???.

Correct me if im off-track, but wouldn't Radar be effective when the Sub was nearer the surface and especially if the sub was moving, verses staying still while being deeply submerged?.

So if the sub was deeply submerged & sitting still, would Radar still be able to effectively identify it???. We need to hear from a Sub-Marine Sub-Mariner to get a real truthful answer to this question!.

a234, I believe you are talking about the success of Allied aircraft detecting U-boats with radar, which was quite widespread.

I'm sure the radar of surface vessels could be successful in the proper circumstances, but would be a much rarer occurrence.

Remember also that U-boats were equipped with radar sensing devices allowing them to detect a radar search and hopeful avoid a confrontation.

Not saying it shouldn't be considered, but the dynamics of the counter-measures IMO offset the usage, at least by surface vessels.

Originally posted by Blashy:

WW2 Subs could not dive deep, a plane in the air could VISUALLY spot it even if submerged.

Only if it stayed shallow. Even then, you had to be pretty lucky to spot it.

btw, German boats went down 600 ft. More than deep enough.

The problem lies if you're operating in shallow water in the first place.