Under what circumstances do you split a squad?

2B

Forgive me if this has been asked/discussed here before + I did a search first but there wasn't much on the subject previously posted in this forum, (a few reference to scouting is all).

I just wanted to ask under what circumstances would you split a squad? And is there anyway to rejoin them once they've been split?

I typically will split a squad or two and use them to scout ahead of my main formation. I will use bounding overwatch, using the 1/2 squads to bound forward and other 1/2 and full squads to cover them. I will also split squads to defend remote areas of the map, provide an OP or rear area security. This is easier when having the big US 12 man squads.

Pete

------------------

" the recruits are salty,they are ready to eat their own guts and ask for seconds."

2B,

Split squads can be recombined, just move them together and in the next turn they will join. Keep in mind that you can't recombine units if they came from different squads, in otherwords you can't join units 1A and 3A, only 1A and 1B.

Here's a technique that I use when defending. During setup I take my platoons and split the squads, putting half in front line positions and deploy the other half behind them in a second line. The terrain will dictate the distance between the two, but generally try to keep them within a turn's running distance. As soon as the first turn's plotting phase begins the troops immediately dig foxholes. Now move the rear units up to join the front line units in their foxholes.

You now have a strong front line position composed of dug-in full strength squads, and a second set of foxholes that you can fall back on.

If you split a 9-man squad, one half gets the 9th guy's torso, and the other half gets the 9th guy's legs. I prefer to use the one with the torso to assault, as it has an extra weapon. rolleyes.gif

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

As soon as the first turn's plotting phase begins the troops immediately dig foxholes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I missing something critical here? How do you order infantry to dig foxholes? Is this something only defending troops can do in the first turn of a scenario? I'm very confused.....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JessRobinson:

Am I missing something critical here? How do you order infantry to dig foxholes? Is this something only defending troops can do in the first turn of a scenario? I'm very confused.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jess,

You don't order troops to dig foxholes, they do it automatically during the first turns plot phase. Also, both sides will dig foxholes, not just the defender.

Try this out:

Fire up a small hotseat game and go thru the setup routine, noting what terrain type you place your men in. Now hit "GO" and you'll see their terrain location will all change to say "Foxhole" (apart from those in buildings or pavement). This will happen to both attackers and defenders AND it covers not only regular line infantry (HQs, rifle squads) but also support elements (MG / mortar teams & guns).

Keep in mind that they will only dig foxholes in that first turn. That's why the split squad technique I mentioned earlier is important. If you only have one opportunity to dig foxholes, then it's best to dig as many as possible.

I hope this clears it up for you smile.gif

"Here's a technique that I use when defending. During setup I take my platoons and split the squads, putting half in front line positions and deploy the other half behind them in a second line. The terrain will dictate the distance between the two, but generally try to keep them within a turn's running distance. As soon as the first turn's plotting phase begins the troops immediately dig foxholes. Now move the rear units up to join the front line units in their foxholes. "

Hmmm... this sounds familiar

I posted this exact technique yesterday in the main CM forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Yes, I noticed that after I posted here. I actually got the idea a long time ago from a post on the main forum, back when Reisburg and Last defense were our only scenarios to play. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now everyone knows about our secret frown.gif

Sorry about your secret Pak40, but I gonna try it out in my next PBEM game...

The split I usually do, when assaulting an enemy's strongpoint. From one platoon I take a squad to hide, while the rest of the troops (including the remaining squad [with higher fire power]) do some area fire for cover the approach of the "assault-squad". After one or two rounds of area fire I attack with the "assault-squad". This works very fine to capture some of the enemy's troops.

Greez

Pain

------------------

War is in my heart

Death is by my side!