Sturmtiger!!!

Oh man, I spent a jillion points and sprung this beast on my (former?) best friend last night. First time I have used it. I just picked a flag and sent an area shot into it on turn one and the Russians poured out of the woods like an anthill after a load of gasoline is poured on it. I could not stop laughing. We are only a few turns into the game but he has exposed an AT gun and is bouncing shots off the beast while I patiently wait to reload. I pity the gun when I finally get another round in.

I suspect that we will be banning any further use of this monster in our battles. Pity... I was thinking of buying them as a platoon next time.

I've used it once. Oh man, took a Soviet tank....major explosion, lol. It took a lot of hits and eventually the gun was damaged.

I'm not sure if I'll use it all that much, slow, expensive, and not a lot of ammo

On Edit:

Just set up a quick game, 14 rounds on HE, don't why I thought it was less than that. Might have been the random "Ammo" setting.

[ November 14, 2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: TCush ]

Had a little test running with Sturmtigers. A 3000 points plus 50% assault (about 7800 points) on two Sturmtigers, but infantry only. One them managed to fire eleven times and caused more than 1400 casualties and knocked out 24 mortars. The other one only fired three times and inflicted "only" about 350 casualties and destroyed eleven mortars.

Pretty impressive, more than 100 infantrymen per shot... :D

Then the AI surrendered... :cool:

[ November 15, 2002, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Brightblade ]

It's expensive, it approaches immobility IIRC, it has a low muzzle velocity, and it's got an extremely long reload time (that, perhaps, should be longer...). And, if it shoots anything close to itself, it's at risk of own-goaling (Hmmm... jeep charge? Maybe in an anything-goes game...). On the other hand, it's hell on strongpoints in towns, and massed infantry.

I bought in August 44 quick battle

Here is an update. On the second shot I tried to thread a shot between two buildings. I caught a large building about halfway between my tank and the target. Unfortunately I had a mess of troops advancing around there. Killed about six of my own men and routed three squads. (Valuable lesson no. 1) Next I moved up up for close infantry support as there are about 200 houses in this scenario. The tank crew spotted a routed, pinned, depleted Russian squad that "was right in the middle of my own attack" and blasted it to eternity. Needless to say, my own troops took the bulk of the damage, giving me about half a dozen broken squads and leaders and a dozen casualties. (Valuable lesson no.2. The veteran (sadistic) crew will have to answer for wasting a 380mm shell on a few Russian soldiers.

Having now been schooled in the dangers of close support. I maneuvered the pig for a decent shot at a heavy building strong points surrounded by trenches and barbed wire. Oh what a pretty blast. My friend reported the loss of about a company plus two medium MGs.

By the way, every shot has brought about the destruction of at least two surrounding houses. More later.