Tree Bursts

Would anyone happen to know whether the nature of the wooded terrain, whether tall pines, woods or scattered woods, affects the tree burst effect of heavy artillery? I don't have the strategy guide and so don't know whether this is mentioned in it or not.

Many thanks in advance

Richard

When i see the word treeburst i have to think immediately to the movie "When Trumpets Fade"

In that movie american forces attack german positions in the Hurtgen Forest but have heavy casualties mainly due to tree bursts and mines.

Try to see this movie, its worth it.

btw is there a scenario for CMBO which simulates such an attack ??

Monty

[ December 24, 2002, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Monty ]

Bwahahaa ! Talking about reindeer and airbursts, there have been a couple of occasions, where reindeer owners have driven their stock to an announced and certified mortar firing zone (just to get money from the government). A whole stock of dozens of reindeer shredded to pieces by 120mm mtrs. Merry xmas st.nick (thanks for the crappy presents, I needed those extra socks...), others enjoy your reindeer stake (or sumfink).

Thanks, Treeburst. I'm not really sure how a controlled test can be rigged to find out the answer to my question. Such an experiment would in any case have to be played out many times. My hunch is that in real life tree bursts in tall pine would be quite deadly and that the effect would be much less in scattered trees (as you mentioned). Just wondering whether any such differentiation is coded in by Battlefront or whether tree burst is tree burst no matter what. Can anyone at BFC throw light on this topic?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Richard

I seem to recall from discussions after CMBO came out that yes, there is less chance in scattered trees, and the most chance in normal woods. However, the scattered tree chance still seems high enough to worry about.

PvK

i think the Band of Brothers episode was number 6, "Bastogne".

I think it was the episode after the "Bastogne" one, which makes it episode 7 ;) . This episode is called "Breaking Point" if I'm not mistaking and shows the Easy company is the Ardennes Forrest being shelled throughout the episode. Those three burst really do some damage. As they do in CM, where I've been on the receiving end once. That caused the better part of a company of regs to either get killed or getting panicked.

Mies