Special Exhibition in Koblenz, Germany on Sept, 7th (w. pictures)

"Most of this pictures were taken by Parabellum (thanks again!). But I am afraid he has a problem. Every third pic was somebodys butt. He insisted it was my complicated camera. Well, everybody may decide what to make out of that..."

Well, it's not my fault when you buy a camera with a butt-o-matic feature.

tongue.gif

And yes, we had a great time. Seeing the tanks churn up the road and comrade Lindanov close-assaulting the Flammpanzer III alone was well worth the trip!

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Well, it's not my fault when you buy a camera with a butt-o-matic feature.

it's ok Parabellum, we understand. *snicker* yes of course it's the camera fault *hehe*

tongue.gif

[ September 08, 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: mensch ]

We had a good day indeed; right from the beginning; that first class beergarden was definitly an improvement compared to other trips...and we had a posibility to prepare ourselfes for the exhibition.

Then there was the old man who asked Patrick "Warphead" what kind of tank it was where we took our first group photo. Expression of surprise and nonunderstanding in his face after being bombarded by a short, but heavy barrage of informations. At least the old man knows now that it is an "PzIII flametank"...

Only tank that had to be guarded closely was the American M1A1. How did they know that we were looking for something we could use for a fast and smooth ride back? Amazing the sound of the turbine of this tank. Like a slightly louder vacuumcleaner. Sucks up dust and cobblestones as well. And moves by itself.

Only drawbacks were that the Panther moved only back and for for about 20-30m, but the sound of the maybach engine was still great! And the clickedicklick of the tracks on the cobblestone, awesome.

Stug III wasn't moving at all, real pity here, and the beer supply was as quick as it probably was on the eastern front. 200 people falling in line at the only drinking station. And two people selling...

Lucky Lindan wasn't simulating the Molotov cocktail attack on the M1A1 since otherwise he might be questioned about his intentions by now...

Smooth ride back home to Switzerland ended this trip, first time without a mad last minute rush to the railway station. And with a complimentary ride as well since I hadn't bought the ticket in advance and nobody checked it during the whole ride.

It was a pleasure to meet up once more with the local CM crew and I hope there will a few more meetings sometime!

CHeers

Marcus

[ September 09, 2002, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: tools4fools ]

Since none of you mentioned it in your posts, what can you tell me about that active infrared equipped Panther rigged for night fighting? If that's original equipment dating back to when the tank was first captured, then that is a major find in and of itself. If the IR gear is real and was added on later, it's still most impressive, for very few sets were issued, and being relatively fragile, I doubt many survived, even if they weren't lost in battle. Did the museum have the IR searchlight equipped Uhu (owl) 251 variant? This greatly increased the range at which the IR equipped Panthers could open fire.

Would love to see these tanks in both CMBO and CMBB, but am sure it's not in the former and almost equally certain it won't be in the latter, being a major code block in and of itself. Sure would give Ivan something to think about in night engagements, and these did see combat. In fact, they're the reason the Soviets hung active IR gear on their tanks and other weapons en masse after the war.

Thanks for the pictures and all the commentary. Man, those tanks are rough on cobblestones!

Regards,

John Kettler

Warphead,

Thanks for the clarification and the link. Does Chad Harrison have your site in his comprehensive list? If not, ping him.

Now the conundrum: how is it that your photo captions are in big, clear type, but your labels with links are vanishingly small and almost impossible to read (Communicator 4.7, OS 8.6 on an

iMac)? Please fix this if you can.

Regards,

John Kettler