How to make the AI Defend then counterattack

How would I set up the Flags and board edges so that the AI will execute a reverse slope defense, and then counter attack (if possible) into what was enemy held territory.

I have no problem setting things up for one or the other, but both in the same scenario are giving me fits.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

How would I set up the Flags and board edges so that the AI will execute a reverse slope defense, and then counter attack (if possible) into what was enemy held territory.

I have no problem setting things up for one or the other, but both in the same scenario are giving me fits.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shameless bump

I see your problem. On the one hand you can place the objective well behind the hill crest and the AI will defend in place on the reverse slope. On the other hand, if you place the objective on the hill crest or on the forward slope the AI will abondon its positions and try to take the objective.

My suggestion is that you place the flag well behind the hill crest and have reinforcements arrive which will attack and most likely push through the objective hex. You need to time the reinforcements such as they arrive when the objective is in danger of being captured by the opposing side.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith:

I see your problem. On the one hand you can place the objective well behind the hill crest and the AI will defend in place on the reverse slope. On the other hand, if you place the objective on the hill crest or on the forward slope the AI will abondon its positions and try to take the objective.

My suggestion is that you place the flag well behind the hill crest and have reinforcements arrive which will attack and most likely push through the objective hex. You need to time the reinforcements such as they arrive when the objective is in danger of being captured by the opposing side.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats an interesting approach. Will the AI pursue if the player controlled units pull back, and make it a real counter attack?

Or are you in danger of having a reinforced defense?

The AI will likely not pursue.

One possibility would be to set it up so that the reinforcements come in on a side well past the objective, so that they will, in effect, be counterattacking the objective (by now controlled by the player). That way they would have to go through the defenders to take the objective.

Just a thought. I will be interested to see how you work this out. It is a wonderful idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

The AI will likely not pursue.

One possibility would be to set it up so that the reinforcements come in on a side well past the objective, so that they will, in effect, be counterattacking the objective (by now controlled by the player). That way they would have to go through the defenders to take the objective.

Just a thought. I will be interested to see how you work this out. It is a wonderful idea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is what I will probably have to do, although I really wanted the AI to mount an aggressive counter attack.

Although, when you think about the scope of the game and the time limit, perhaps a very local attack from reinforcing units is more realistic...

Anyhow, I shall see what I can manage, and Ill post in this thread when the scenario is ready...

What is really needed is the ability to change the position of victory flags when specific conditions are met. maybe in some future rewrite BTS could allow scenario builders to reposition flags after a fixed number of terms, or when some morale level is reached. It would produce some very different play tactics

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

What is really needed is the ability to change the position of victory flags when specific conditions are met. maybe in some future rewrite BTS could allow scenario builders to reposition flags after a fixed number of terms, or when some morale level is reached. It would produce some very different play tactics<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the ability to do some scripting as well would be nice...