Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hummel Question

Yep, the Hummel was definately used for indirect fire. As self-propelled-arty you would find them mostly in Panzer divisions where they could keep up with the fast-moving panzer formations.

In normal situations self-propelled arty would ALWAYS try to fire indirect fire since their low armour isn't very effective to enemy fire.

You can simulate the use of Hummels firing indirect fire by using 150mm offboard arty.

It seems then the use of a Hummel, as much as I love em, in the present "CM" capacity is really

bizzare. I wonder if "CMBB" would make changes as

to their actual funtion, if it's worth the while.

I wonder if they would have a time delay for support fire on an attack or if their close prox.

to the battle would eliminate that. Curious as to

the actual use of "SPA's". Time to do a little research : ) I love this game!

CheerZ!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

What we really needs are the self-propelled 150mm infantry guns, like Bision et al (thin) and Brummbaer (thick), they were intended for direct fire.

I think CMBO only got the Hummel because it could share the 3D model with the Nashorn.<hr></blockquote>

I was actually very much looking forward to being able to use the Brumbar (or however it's spelled); from playing the Steel Panthers series, I remember it being monsterously effective against infantry, particularly in urban environments, where it usually brought the building down on top of them after a couple of shots. However, from this site:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nstalker/armoury/german/brumbar.htm

I believe it may have been mainly used on the Eastern Front. There is another web site, however, which suggests it may have been also used on the Western front, and says that only 313 were built. A Google search for "Brumbar" turns up mostly sites about plastic models... Anyway, it's certainly something to hope for in CMBB.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: lewallen ]</p>

While the use of the Hummel in a DF role is quite unrealistic, I think you can use them to simulate the 15cm SP guns that are not in the game, and were intended for dual use (at least I have seen movie footage where they were thus employed). But sparingly, I would suggest, if you care about realism. If not, let it rip.