Idea for US gamers...

Falkao

I dont know if this has been brought up or is otherwise possible but:

Could you US gamers, once you receive the game, use the editor to do some variations of the demo scenarios (more armor, combined arms, change attacker and defender, minor changes to maps, etc...) and post them so we poor europeans can take some consolation and play "different" scenarios until our copies of cmbb arrive (mid-late October i guess) :(

I could imagine a nice armor vs armor variation of Citadel with IIIm and IVh vs KV1s and t34/76 m1940 (I know, unhistorical, but fun nonetheless) :D

Originally posted by wwb_99:

The Demo only works with the scenarios included with it. Trying to get others in there does NOT work at all.

WWB

I'm not quite sure about that. I seem to recall Steve mentioning that, while they won't be changing a thing... that as long as you use ONLY the items in the demo, you'll be OK. Meaning, if you get a list of the exact vehicles, inf. units, buildings, and terrain tiles, you could make any number of scenarios that could be played with the demo application. I don't know this for sure, but that's how I understood it and it seems to make sense.

Just think about it, as long as you use the exact tiles that are in the game... road curves and everything.. meaning if there is no left hand dirt road tile used, you can't use it either. And using EXACTLY the same vehicles, you may be able to get a really cool T34 & KV VS PZ III and IV scenario with accompanying infantry. There is a little artillery for both sides and MGs and mortars. You could make yourself a pretty cool scenario. We'll see shortly if it would play in the demo. It probably will.

BFC, let me know if this is a forbidden topic and I'll delete it. I don't want to be crossing any lines or anything. This could either be described as a "customization" of the demo, or a very soft hack.

As was stated above, you cannot add more scenarios to the demos, even if you use the same units, tiles, ect.

What we will do for all you who wont get the game until a few weeks after the US, is we will be sure to post lots of juicy AAR's for you all to read. Hopefully that will provide enough bones for you all to chew on until you get the full version.

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

As was stated above, you cannot add more scenarios to the demos, even if you use the same units, tiles, ect......

I'm curious why not. They aren't hard coded into the game, they are 3 files sitting in the scenarios folder. If the application will only play games with those names, change the name of your new scenario to one of the 3. But if the application does some kind of check to verify the exact file size or something, then there is almost no way to do it.

Unless someone explains why it can't be done, I'm betting it can be done once the game comes out.

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

As was stated above, you cannot add more scenarios to the demos, even if you use the same units, tiles, ect.

What we will do for all you who wont get the game until a few weeks after the US, is we will be sure to post lots of juicy AAR's for you all to read. Hopefully that will provide enough bones for you all to chew on until you get the full version.

Chad

lol. that's cruel. kinda like sitting in your living room watching every kid on the block ride around on their new bike they got for christmas, while santa brought you a jigsaw puzzle....

Clubfoot and wwb_99 are correct. Only the three scenarios will work with the Demo. Even small changes to the file are enough to keep the Demo from loading the scenarios.

If more scenarios are to be used by the Demo, then BTS/BFC will have to modify the files or the executable in order for them to be read by the Demo as the 'correct version'. Users will not be able to edit the Demo files to give Demo players something additional to play with even if filenames, units and terrain selections remain within the bounds of what is in the three included scenarios.