Mods! Mods! Mods! Whats the best?

Hi, im new to CM. And I was wondering if I could get some help from you CM vets out their. I hear to get the best from CM I should Mod it up, I was hoping, that you could list for me, in order of Download, what are the best Mods to get the most out of CM.

Im as new as they come, so please try to be as detailed and informative as you can, such as file changes and what not, if I ever have to. I would really be grateful for this help, im looking forward to Modding up CM to make it look great. I have a high end computer so all if fine their. Just let me know what I should add, and what I should stay away from. Thank you.

Well I would suggest: Maguas Normandy woods and scattered trees, DDs tree bases, DDs water (or Tanks Alots) Gunslingers grass, gunnergoz's brush, DDs wheat, gunslingers pines, Maguas original buildings from CM outpost, Tigers dark brown marsh, I cant remember who made my rough, but it used to be on the now defunct Combat Missions. Hundreds of vehicle thingys...oh and Toms BOB winter mod is a must!

Give the guy a break! Damn!!!

Welcome aboard Volker.

There are so many mods out there it's hard to say which are the "best". It's all a matter of taste.

Mods are simply new .bmp's that over write the games originals with the new graphic.

I suggest that you just search through some of these sites and see what is available. Start d/ling and installing them. Open up CM and see what you like/dislike, simply go looking for new and better mods, it's an on going process.

Also BTS did not ship winter textures for ALL items but the modders soon worked out how to do that. So you can d/l things like "Winterised stone walls" with snow etc and they will only show up in the "Winter scenarios" etc...

I would suggest you check out these sites for mods.

Cmbat Mission HQ

Has lots of mods, the MDMP (Mad Dog Mod Packs) located on the 5th link down the left hand side has LOTS of mods all in one and may be a good place to start.

Toms Combat Mission HQ

Displays the mods on his site extremely well and is a pleasure to navigate and browse through.

Der Kessel

Also has some very nice mods.

This should keep you going for a while but there is no end to the moding of CM ;)

If you need help with anything don't be afraid to ask.

Stix

Would it not be a good idea to post a MOD FAQ as I was thinking about asking this question loads of times over the past and with so many MODS out there it is confusing about what to do. Maybe someone could set up a list I know you can say well its all a matter of taste blah blah blah, but if someone could give a rundown on setting up a good baseline that people can add to that would be great.

For instance

Must have selection MODS, which all go together well.

List a good set of terrain mods (as above posted)

Vehicle mods to replace some of the dodgy looking vehicles such as the Pz MkIV

Winter mod collection

Optional MODS

Weathered tanks

Most popular Panther variants for example

Add a final touch of realism MODS

Track types!

unit markings etc

I'd advise don't take anyone's 'best mod' advise as gospel, because "One man's meat is another man's poison" or however that old saying goes.

Just troll all the sites on the CM webring and if you see something that strikes your fancy, download it and give it a try. People usually say to go for terrain and building mods before vehicles, but it all depends on what YOU think needs replacing the most to make you happy.

That being said, check out my own Mike Duplessis HiRes wood bridge and realistic faces at CMHQ, and the Mike Duplessis backdate Churchill at Toms Combat Mission HQ.

That's a tough call; it's really a matter of personal taste. There are some mods out there than many consider awesome and I think aren't all that, and the other way around I'm sure. The best advice is to try all that you can, and keep backing up your bmp folder as you go. You could also try a mod manager, but when I first discovered mods I found it a little overwhelming.

If you haven't read Mad Mad's Mod Guide, start there!

My favorite mods? DD's grass and terrain, Panzertruppen's buildings, and Tom's Battle of the Bulge mod.