Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

List Of Terrain In CMBB?

I went looking for the "All You Wanted To Know CMBB thread" but couldn't find it. What kinds of terrain are going to be in CMBB?

Is there gonna be creeks? Creeks could slow down infantry like marsh does. I think this would be a great addition to the game as it would infuse more strategy into moving infantry, making decisions more difficult on whether to try crossing creeks or to go around them.

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Is there gonna be creeks? Creeks could slow down infantry like marsh does. I think this would be a great addition to the game as it would infuse more strategy into moving infantry, making decisions more difficult on whether to try crossing creeks or to go around them.

Le CMBB FAQ Extreme

I'm pretty sure BTS has eliminated small land features like streams/creeks as not significant enough to model. Maybe for the engine re-write when the tile size shrinks?

- Chris

No creeks or streams in CMBB. I remember a thread a while back specifically on this where Bruno and Madd Matt had a long discussion. The word was no but there is gonna be a wet ground terrain tile that can simulate this. Try a search using stream or Brunos name, maybe over the last 7 months. You may come up with the thread.

Mord.

Ahem, yes sadly the issue of the "stream", often misunderstood and reasoned as insignificant by an apparent unaccustomed experience with deeply cut streams (providing cover to infantry), lose errosion bank streams (prohibitive to light vehicles), flash flood streams (prohibitive to personnel and light vehicle crossing) , the winter thaw deep mud streams (potentially bogging to medium armor crossing), thick tree and brush lines that follow stream banks (a natural source of water for vegetation) through possibly otherwise featureless terrain (providing excellant cover to infantry personnel), and the often utilized rationale that all streams come in one size, small enough to step over and shallow enough not to provide cover from a flat line-of-sight, have indeed not been included in CMBB.

Now, the actual problem IMO (IMO = amnesty from quotation accountability), stems from the tile sizes. Wherein the present size of the river tiles and what would have to by necessity be, the size of the stream tiles that would, for their inclusion, cause problems with the terrain generator and would not be worth the effort needed if not a major overhaul of the terrain generator engine. And lacking any groundswell of clambering by the great majority to further delay CMBB for the sake of a graphical overhaul that would, among other things, include varying sizes of the river tile, i.e., a stream, a river, a babbling brook perhaps, it was decided that the inclusion of a stream was not important enough to go through all of that to accomplish, at this time. With that rather complicated situation having been discussed somewhere along the line, it was apparently then subsequently interpreted by the masses into a rapidly accepted real world geographical fact that streams are "insignificant". Nobody likes complicated explanations. Which is ofcourse precisely why I'm giving one.

However, as previously stated, Matt did say that (I'm sure he'll be kind enought to jump in here and correct me if I mispeak on his behalf), the CMBB editing tool will allow for the creation of stream like environs through the use of the (tadaa!) newly created CMBB marsh hexes. Marsh hexes which will include fjords... (sorry, I was thinking about that Finnish instruction manual), fords.

According to Matt therefore, the creative types among us, (graphically creative that is, not oratorically), who shrewdly utilize the new marsh hexes in their scenario creations will indeed be able to nearly emulate the much maligned and generally misunderstood terrain feature that might otherwise be mistaken as insignificant to the battlefield, as opposed to "not" significant enough, to risk a major delay in product delivery. :D

[ June 19, 2002, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]