For CMBB: Sort scenarios by date?

Hey all. I know having a "campaign" for CMBB is probably not going to happen, which is fine with me, but can I suggest a simple alternative? In CMBO, I've always wanted to play the scenarios in the relative order in which they happened. I think this would give a good feeling of how the war was being fought as well as the available equipment and troops at different points in the war.

For CMBB, can we have a simple month and year that the battle takes place attached to each scenario? This would then be displayed in the scenario listing screen.

Also, if we could click on the Scenario Date column header to sort the missions by date (like in the Windows Explorer), that would make it much easier to play the game and make it feel like you're starting in 1941(?) and ending in 1945.

Assuming the main menu interface is similar to CMBO, I can't see how this could be too difficult to code.

Thanks for listenting.

BeWary

Hi,

I already go through the mildly tedious task of having my CMBO scenarios sorted by month by renaming each scenario and campaign so it is prefixed with 01 to 12 for June 44 to May 45 respectively. I also add an "a" for stock scenarios and a "u" for user defined. Joe Blow's "Mayhem in the Bocage" could be 02u-Mayhem in the Bocage.cmb.

A pain, but it certainly adds to my enjoyment. I agree though, it would be nice to see this as a feature in CMBB.

Regards

Renaming the scenarios so they start with the following conventions will solve the problem inelegantly

YYMMDD

Where YY is the last two digits of the year

Where MM is the two digit code for the month (01, 02 etc)

And DD is the two digit code for the day (or first day, if an operation).

Barbarossa started on 410622, Christmas that year was 411225 and VE Day was 450508

Sorting by front would be another interesting twist - Leningrad Front, Stalingrad, Army Group Centre, Finland, etc.

Or by nationality on one side

Etc.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]</p>

Sorting by date will not give you a campaign feel in the GPW. What does a Dec. 42 battle in the Rhzev salient have to do with a Dec. 42 battle on the Chir, or a Dec.42 probe of the Soviet lines outside Schluesselburg? Not much. IMO the best way to do this is as Michael suggests, and as we already do at Der Kessel, by sorting it through region/campaign and time.

In the case of the GPW, a historical/semi-historical scenario could e.g. be named for the operation first:

Little Saturn - Hell on the Chir

Mars - Breaking into the line

Demjansk - Getting out

While for fictional scenarios, they could just be named by season, region and year followed by the name:

Autumn 1943 Kharkov - Thunder on the Dnjepr

Or somefink