To the Volga

After spending close to two hours positioning my troops to beging the assault on the Tractors Factory, the game crashed before I could start turn 1. When i finally was able to go to turn one, the game was so sluggish when giving orders that I decided to split the orders by first giving orders to the 389th and leaving the 14th Pz for the next turn. Still no luck. the game crashed while the computer player was thinking.

This never happened to me with CMBO and with any of the other battles or operations in CMBB. Has anyone had the same problem. I have Pentium III 1Ghz 128 RAM.

Originally posted by Bartokomus:

I guess this begs the question how did they playtest it? ;)

Was wondering that myself last night. I've made it to turn 8 of the first battle. I've got a 2.2 p4 with 2 GB of rdram & a RAID "0" rig and it STILL takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to calculate a turn.

Unless you just like sitting around, the way to do this Operation is to maybe just do a turn per night then move on to another scenario or some TCP/IP or whatever. You'll likely get burned out trying to do a marathon TtV session. I applaud the effort made to put that Op together and because of its epic size, I think a 10 month long nightly bout with the scenario will make quite a memorable gift from CMBB.

Originally posted by Tha_Field_Marshall:

I getting ready to pick up a P4 2.5 gh processor just so I can play that freakin operation. I can't stand the 15-20 min between turns.

It's likely still going to have some turns that long even on a 2.5 Ghz.

My rig is: Celeron566, 191MB RAM, 12MB video, Win98SE.

For CMBB, a battle that features a Inf. Battalion + 4-8 tanks vs. 1 Inf. Company + support (no AFV) takes 2 to 3+ minutes to compute...which is roughly how long my CPU used to take to compute an 8500pt. CMBO ME scenario featuring a total of 4 Companies, 50+ AFV, plus support and arty firing at each other!

I think somewhere in the CMBO manual it recommends, "don't try to build a scenario based simply on high unit count...". Guess they forget this recommendation for CMBO!

I'm sure he did it just because 'he could'. smile.gif

I think i'm going to make a Kursk scenario with an entire Panzer Division arrayed in 'Panzerkiel' formation across 5000 meters of steppe and have it roll forward onto Soviet defense belts. One giant 'Move' order. :eek:

Ren

It was done because we could, we had the maps, and goddamit it was good.

Note that there are 2 smaller stalingrad scenarios based on sections of that map, Dzhevinsky Tractor Works and The Last Stand. Both are playable on any machine that can handle CMBB.

WWB

Originally posted by Agua:

Unless you just like sitting around, the way to do this Operation is to maybe just do a turn per night then move on to another scenario or some TCP/IP or whatever. You'll likely get burned out trying to do a marathon TtV session. I applaud the effort made to put that Op together and because of its epic size, I think a 10 month long nightly bout with the scenario will make quite a memorable gift from CMBB.

Yep, one turn a night... I'm still playing it smile.gif

Originally posted by Renaud:

I'm sure he did it just because 'he could'.

To some extent. I did the map and then tried to find a battle that was fought there. I was a bit surprised to find out how large the forces were that fought over that tiny piece of ground. So I decided to try doing the battle scaled down. Scaled down it chokes my computer. So, yes, I did it because I could smile.gif