Limited shelling by tanks?

In CMBB will you be able to shell an area or house with a limited number of shots? Not shell the area for the whole minute.

This may be good on suppressing an area or building before infantry try an assault.

:cool:

Same for indirect fire weapons. :eek:

[ March 26, 2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Boris Balaban ]

I know this was covered at one time or another but I can't remember what BTS said. Hopefully someone will answer that knows. I agree it is a waste of good ammo to keep shelling for the full minute when you don't want to.

Originally posted by Moon:

Boris, units ordered to "area fire" will automatically stop firing when friendly troops enter the "area". Yep, in CMBO already smile.gif

I will not that.

Moon what about the first part in that you may only want to fire a round or two into an area?

Is/will thier a way of not shelling the whole min?

Originally posted by Moon:

Boris, units ordered to "area fire" will automatically stop firing when friendly troops enter the "area". Yep, in CMBO already smile.gif

Or to be more accurate:

Boris, units ordered to "area fire" will sometimes automatically stop firing when friendly troops enter the "area".

The only reliable way to expend only a limited amount of shells from a direct-fire unit is to move or turn it. If it's a vehicle with a turret, you need to move out of LOS. A turretless vehicle moved in any direct where the gun stops facing the target will stop firing too. Mortars and gun will instantly stop when moving. Time the number of shells via rate of fire and then give appropriate delay items before you move and you should be all set.

I do that rather often for Hummels, where I really don't want to spend more than 1 or 2 shells on an area target.

I don't know any solution for artillery FOs.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Hmm, IIRC this doesn't always work as planned.

:eek: :(

Michael</font>

Originally posted by redwolf:

I don't know any solution for artillery FOs.

Actually as I think over it, a timed shot from a sharpshooter, mortar or tank area fire will do. The spotter will lose its target when supressed (or killed, obviously). Since you cannot give area fire to something you can't see, you cannot use a move-into-LOS command as timing mechanism, but giving a move command from within LOS to within LOS should do, especially with a turretless gun vehicle.

Originally posted by Offwhite:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

Hmm, IIRC this doesn't always work as planned.

:eek: :(

Michael</font>