How do you use your Axis armor?

I use my Axis armor very carefully smile.gif

Stress it again: The long distance game is your bread and butter.

With slow turreted panzers (Tigers) or the turretless TDs (Jagdpanzers, Hetzers, etc.) it's imperative to narrow their firing arc. This is even more so important for the turretless AFVs. The time it takes to turn the turret/whole vehicle does make a difference if they unexpectedly popped up 45 degrees to your side at a close range for instance. If you can expectedly engage your targets at longer ranges (800m maybe?) then these slower turret speeds are less of a liability.

As far as panzer selection for those QBs, in those small point games be careful about "Putting your eggs all in one basket," i.e. spending about 400/500 pts on a single Koenigstiger. Lose that Cat and you're up **** creek without a paddle.

And one thing about hulldown with a PzKpfw IV: If you're expecting a bunch of 37mm equipped AFVs (Stuarts, Greyhounds, etc.) BEWARE of the paper thin turret armor of the PzKpfw IV! Sitting in a hulldown position with them at those short ranges is a disaster in the making. If your whole PzKpfw IV is exposed at least their shots may be harmless if it hits the thicker hull front armor. It sound weird but that's what I've found.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Maximus:

I use them like the ubertanks they aren't. ;):D <hr></blockquote>

Maximus! Where the hell have you been keeping yourself, ol buddy, ol pal? We had heard you got thrown in the hole after pissing off The Bald One. When you didn't come back, we assumed somebody made you their bitch and then killed you. Good to see you're back though. It'll be just like old times now that you're home again.

I hope this is the real Maximus I'm speaking to and not an imposter. Quick, say something insulting or sarcastic so I know it's really you. tongue.gif

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Colonel_Deadmarsh ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Maximus! Where the hell have you been keeping yourself, ol buddy, ol chap? Say something insulting or sarcastic so I know it's really you. <hr></blockquote>

Colonel, this is an old post from May of last year.

For a second I thought that Abbott and Maximus were back.

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Colonel, this is an old post from May of last year.

For a second I thought that Abbott and Maximus were back.

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

Well dammit, who dug this up to make me look stupid? I want names!

By the way, where did Abbott go? Nobody emailed me about this.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

I found this very funny and thought it was worth quoting again but with the proviso: Don't do this at home boys. Sounds like Mensch's bed is truly a warzone.

What ever happened to Mensch anyways?<hr></blockquote>

Sounds like he needs a lie-down now, never mind what happened to him then. Berli must have left the keys unattended again, and he snuck out. (muffled sounds from the rear) What? Yes, he won't bother you again, I don't think.

You may continue your regularly scheduled discussion.

My fav's are vet Marder II's to take out the enemy armour, with 75mm HT's or A/cars in support for the HE, or Wespe's if the $ allow.

With this force the game is definatly not lost with some of your AFV's brewed. I do tend to play Fionn rules so this force may have a bit harder time vs gamey players.

Originally posted by Splash:

What ever happened to Mensch anyways?

If you read very carefully the last bit: unused tampons, absconded pills. He is propably taking lamaz classes. :D

On the subject at hand:

I usually take Stugs: cheap so losing them will not hurt as much as losing a Panther or a Tiger would. And deadly enough in case you get lucky.

And do NOT leave baseline without a PAK38-40/Pupchen combo. A couple of pairs of those and you will have a fighting chance in case your armour gets whacked.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> If your whole PzKpfw IV is exposed at least their shots may be harmless if it hits the thicker hull front armor. It sound weird but that's what I've found.<hr></blockquote>

"Two Mark IVs one o'clock, one hull down."

"Hit thee hull down one through turret."

"Ok, now make sure you plaster your shots evenly across the front of the other one"

(debugging output from AI routines)

apex