I Am a Troublemaker

Interesting subject!

If moralilty is modelled in the game (I like the idea of rejigging victory point conditions) then its likely that it will be subverted to the tactical level. Just some observations and questions:

Perhaps being humane transcends tactics?

Sort of brings a new dimension to pre-game negotiations.

What does it mean to turn morality on/off in the quick battle generator?

Brilliant game but I'm sometimes disturbed when I allow myself to remove the abstractions. An average game represents 30 mins. How many of the little pixels remain intact after we gamely throw them around screen? Life seems fragile in CM and death seems indiscriminate.

Yeknod

Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

But not enough brain matter is seen after a gamey SMG charge.

Did anone see that episode of Sopranos where Paulie and Christopher take a Russian to the woods in winter to execute him and it turns out he's an ex-commando who killed 17 Chechniyans in hand to hand combat. He's supposed to dig his own grave but needless to say he swings that shovel, wounds and evades the shivering Italian guys, steals their car and leaves them to almost freeze to death. Funniest Sopranos episode I ever saw. Now what was my point?...

Yeah, about gamey SMG charges. You don't mean 'the charge of the FJ pioneers I hope'. I thought they worked very methodically, after adequate arty prep, through cover, in bounds, brrrrping tommies like whack-a-moles whenever they popped up in the woods, and applying a little extra leverage in the form of satchel charges when things got hairy.

Anyhow, we return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Originally posted by Cooper:

Don't forget we are talking about the Eastern Front here. While it is the mother of all land wars it was also (probably) the most savage war in history. The accounts of war atrocities seem to never end and the bestiality of these attacks scare you. I really doubt a russian commander had any thoughts of reducing civilian casualities on enemy occupied town (German or Russian). The same thing goes for the Germans.

In many cases, that would be true, but not all. I can think of at least one example where the Soviets tried to minimise damage... Vienna

I think the idea that Meeks alludes to is an interesting one, for instance if you could designate areas on the map where damage is to be minmised. The way I addressed this is in the special rules of a scenario I made called "A Midnight Clear", where you are required to capture and hold a munitions depot and either side loses automatically if they destroy the buildings.

Reading this thread I had the idea (if you could place overlapping setup zones) that you could use one of the three available to both sides to designate areas in the scenario briefing where damage was to be minimised.

Originally posted by Goanna:

I think the idea that Meeks alludes to is an interesting one, for instance if you could designate areas on the map where damage is to be minmised. The way I addressed this is in the special rules of a scenario I made called "A Midnight Clear", where you are required to capture and hold a munitions depot and either side loses automatically if they destroy the buildings.

Reading this thread I had the idea (if you could place overlapping setup zones) that you could use one of the three available to both sides to designate areas in the scenario briefing where damage was to be minimised.

Especially useful for bridges, nicht wahr? The ability to designate a piece of terrain as so valuable that the side who destroys it automatically loses would be a very handy thing to have.