Soviet 76.2mm L/42 penetration value looks odd

The shots had auxiliary rocets that would only fire up at safe distance of 100m. The rocket would accelerate the shot up to a speed of 734m/s. Rockets would only burn for about 0,4-0,7 seconds. Giving the maximum penetration value of 79mm@ zero degrees at 420-537m distance.

Or, in other words, bump.

Grisha, hi,

I am ninety percent certain, but not 100%, that what you are witnessing is the “shatter gap”. Early Soviet AP ammo, 41/maybe 42, was of such low quality that if the projectile was overloaded with energy when it struck the Panzers plate, it would shatter. Hence, at short ranges, against thick plate, the projectile would shatter. Once its velocity had decreased some what, its energy decreased somewhat, its penetration would increase.

I know this all looks very odd, but it is historically correct. Take a careful look at the figures for the AP, APBC Large HE charge, and then APBC Small HE charge fired by the T34s from 41 to late 43 and you will see the changes as the quality goes up.

You will find the same with 45mm Model 42 AT guns.

All the best,

Kip.

Geez, sorry for my thickheadedness. Finally, sank in what your post was saying, Kip. You're on the money on that. I was amazed to see how much AP quality moved up, and down. The 45mm L/46 goes up in 1942, then down a bit in 1943. Wow. That is pretty neat! Thanks, BTS smile.gif

[ October 24, 2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Grisha ]