CMBB Map files

On a (slightly) related topic...are there going to be any changes in the CMBB map editor? I mean besides the addition of some new terrain features. Specifically, I am hoping that they will add another increment range to the elevations. Something like 1.0 meters, so we can have gently sloping terrain without the stair-step effect. Any hope?

[ February 05, 2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: wadepm ]

Hi,

I agree with those whom have posted above.

Being able to use the same map file for operations and battles would be great. I also believe a more subtle elevation step change of, say, 1.25 metres as opposed to the current 2.5 metres and 5 metres, would be a welcome change. Especially for modelling Eastern Front terrain. In fact I posted requesting such a change about 7-8 months ago.

My hunch is that we will have to wait until the re-write of the engine for these changes.Time will tell.

All the best,

Kip

THis has already been discussed in other threads. I've spoken to Steve at some length. I suspect there will be few if any changes to the map system in CMBB. However, from what Steve has said publicly and privately, the editor and inputing systems for maps in the rewrite will be radically different.

One of the very interesting things which did come up is the possibility of being able to import map data from GIS sources. This would mean that commercial and government survey sources could be imported directly into the editor and "tweaked".

Further, I've suggested that if the map files were seperated from the actual unit information, and the encoding for the map files revealed, it might be possible to directly edit maps, outside of CM, utilising say, a text editor. This could allow a player to hand encode a map, utilising a grid system and then inputing it into a text file, which in turn the map editor could read.

However, again, this whole issue will be addressed more fully, once the rewrite of the engine begins. Remember, CMBB is basically done, so I doubt anything radical will occur there, as far as the map editor is concerned.