OMG. I have to wait!!!

Last night I mentioned to my wife that I was getting online to order CMBB. She told me not to as she had ordered it for me for Christmas but I have to wait until then to get it.

Can you believe the audacity? The gall? :(

In an effort to whet my appetite I picked up two more books on the East Front and will reread the three I have already.

BTW, though it's probably here somewhere (No I didn't search), where will we be able to upload our scenarios?

I haven't written any new ones in a long time. The last ones I wrote a few months ago for CMBO were trashed when my hard drive died. No backups.

LOL :D

One of those things that you just hate it when that happens. I've had similar things happen. wives don't understand that men have to have these things NOW!!

The books will get you ready though and I envy you for having a wife that even buys you stuff like that. My wife would NEVER as it takes time away from her :rolleyes:

Would she consider giving it to you early? Maybe you could swap the books for the game so she'd still have something to put under the tree?

Or, to be really sneaky, you could give her an early present in hopes that she would feel obligated to give you something.

Any other tactical hints out there?

Ace

I'd say she outsmarted you by a mile.

She saw the writing on the wall and knew what would happen when you got CMBB (endless of hours infront of the computer combined with endless of hours of conversations where you try to explain the finer aspects of a Panzerfaust ambush to her)

Desperately she wondered "how can I buy me some more time here". So she bought the game as a Christmas present, and bingo. She gets your full attention until Dec 24th. AND you owe her a truly magnificent Christmas present.

You have a smart lady smile.gif

[ November 15, 2002, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Leutnant Hortlund ]

Originally posted by flyingcursor:

BTW, though it's probably here somewhere (No I didn't search), where will we be able to upload our scenarios?

I haven't written any new ones in a long time. The last ones I wrote a few months ago for CMBO were trashed when my hard drive died. No backups.

flyingcursor,

Try The Scenario Depot for all of your CMBO/CMBB battle, operation, and map needs. As it says in the SIG...

Flyingcursor was my old name, I've been using Master Dullard for some time now so I've changed it.

Anyway, there are some good suggestion here. I think the early gift swap idea is a good possibility. However her sadistic streak might rear it's head.

Odd_ball, I can't express my empathy for your plight. It just proves there's someone out there worse off smile.gif

Leutenant Hortlund, that wouldn't be her reason. She's into her cross stitching and I already spend most of my time in the computer room with GI Combat, Celtic Kings and Stronghold Crusader. So if she thinks she's going to avoid dissertations on military history. WRONG!

Thanks Admiral for the scenario depot directive.

I forgot about it.

Originally posted by flyingcursor:

Last night I mentioned to my wife that I was getting online to order CMBB. She told me not to as she had ordered it for me for Christmas but I have to wait until then to get it.

flyingcursor, here is the solution to your predicatment:

1. Using the MOVEMENT TO CONTACT, HIDE and SNEAK commands, locate the copy of CMBB. It is probably wrapped as a gift.

2. Determine the presence and positioning of tripwires or other security devices. Remove or render harmless.

3. Prior to opening the package carefully take note of all wrapping materials, location of tape stripes, and any other unique identifying marks. The availability of a digital camera certainly would not be amiss at this point.

4. Carefully open the package, supressing whoops of joy and excitement. Wait a few moments for heartrate to stabilize.

5. Remove CMBB manual and CD, and replace with CMBO manual and CD.

6. Re-install wrappings and tape. Replace and re-activate tripwires and other security devices removed in step 2.

There you go. Now you can play CMBB! Be sure to keep the manual and CD out of sight. If you are observed playing, say to yourself (but loud enough to be heard by spouse) "Wow, this is a REALLY GREAT DEMO!".

On Christmas morning, hand your wife a gift to open, then quickly unwrap the CMBB/CMBO package but don't let your wife see the contents. Hold it to your chest and say, "Wow, you are a REALLY GREAT WIFE!".

If she happens to see the manual and says something about it being the wrong game, give her a tender look and say, "Honey, I figured they sent you the wrong game, but I didn't want to say anything because it was so nice of you to order it for me, you are a REALLY GREAT WIFE!" (the "Wow" is optional for this phrase).

If she insists that she did in fact verify that it was CMBB she received and wrapped, give her a tender look and say, "Honey, I'm sure you believe that to be true, but you have been under a lot of stress lately, and that's why I'm taking you to [ insert favorite vacation spot here], because, after all, you are a REALLY GREAT WIFE!". She will not press you further about the game, as she will be already planning what clothes she will want to pack.

No need to thank me... :D

markgame,

What can I say? You have a gift, man. That's something you're born with - you can't teach that. The level of detailed scheming is astounding. Do you outsource your services? Do you have ploys for getting out of weekend in-law visits?

I feel I'm in the presence of greatness!

Ace

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

Do you have ploys for getting out of weekend in-law visits?

1. If your job permits it, work an occasional Saturday or Sunday, not a lot, but make them random. If possible, give up something you were looking forward to, like a college game you were going to watch on the tube, and be sure your spouse is aware that, darn, you'd rather be home enjoying yourself, but you were asked to work. Never say you were called in by phone! That's too easy to verify. Of course, whether you actually go in to work is up to you.

2. Alway eavesdrop (when possible) whenever an in-law calls. Listen for telltale clues regarding upcoming visits ("We'd love to see you then!"). Never ask about the upcoming visit!, instead snoop a little to figure out when it will be; check datebooks, calenders, jotted notes on napkins, etc.

3. This is the tricky part: Once you have determined that an upcoming visit will be occurring, you must NOT immediately mention that you will be working that day! You must maintain the illusion of a coincidence, and that means taking the chance that she might mention the upcoming visit to you. If possible, before she does, change the subject or break off the conversation completely. Breaking into a hacking cough works well.

4. Choose a time a few days before the visit to break the bad ;) news that you have to work. Remember, the number of days preceding is proportional to the distance to be traveled. A cross country flight is tough to reschedule, so you can tell her well in advance that you have to work. However, if they are coming from the next city they could reschedule their trip much easier, so very short notice would be called for in this case.

5. Remember to have an "out" on having to work; should the relatives cancel their trip you don't want to waste a work day for nothing!

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

markgame,

What can I say? You have a gift, man....

I feel I'm in the presence of greatness!

Ace

Ah, shucks... [ looks down at ground in embarassment].

Agua, the inviolability of the integrity of a Christmas gift can be taken very seriously.

The stealth option is not only viable hypothetically, but I can tell you that it works in real life.

I knew I was getting a game a couple years ago, but naturally I did not want to wait and put up with my wife's taunts.

When she was at work I performed the secret operation and played to my heart's content while she was gone.

Most wifes are not going to look closely but the work around to that would be to look at the manual but put it back and rely on the pdf file until Christmas. That way she does see that she did order the right game and there is no chance of a ruined holiday due to your obvious disappointment at not getting what you wanted.

Otherwise the plan is golden.

BDH

KISS! (Keep it simple stupid)

1. TAKE the game from under the tree.

2. BLOW UP the christmas tree.

3. Disavow any knowledge of anything.

Optional:

4. As an aside, mention you downloaded the latest upgrade of CMBO (the one with the typo that says CMBB) and love it so much you no longer want what was lost in the explosion.