Your Favorite Scenarios So Far ?

There seem to be so many scenarios being created now.How about everyone chipping in and letting us know what your favorite 2 or 3

scenarios are to date.The scenario depot is great but there are about 50 - 3 star scenarios.So maybe this might help isolate the real gems..My faves to date are Yeaghers Farm and Wiltz.

------------------

"If Patton were alive today,he'd play Combat Mission."

Glad you enjoyed Wiltz, Panzer Man. Would you believe it was the very first scenario I attempted to design in CM back in the early beta days?

Of course, its had about 100 modifications since then eek.gif, well not that many, but I still enjoy getting on those hills and popping Germans biggrin.gif

Since I am involved in design, I won't cast a vote here, but I think those who have played some good ones oughta tell us about it. There are a lot of scenarios/operations out there, and it helps to know which ones are super good.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 09-23-2000).]

Guest SS Peiper

ok I'll be the first my top 3 in no particular order

A Second job By wild Bill

Hill 140 By Dick Reece

Yagers Farm by Thomas St.John

honorable mention

The Station and Trois Ponts ( the maps are Great)

by Eric Antonsen

and Hit the coast (a operation)

I dont know who made it but its a great.

Well I can go on and on but ....

SS Peiper

[This message has been edited by SS Peiper (edited 09-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SS Peiper (edited 09-23-2000).]

I have to agree with Bill on this one. I wont vote either (even though that is probably the only way for my scenarios to get any votes hehe) but i must say i like this idea. It lets people know about good scenarios they otherwise would have missed.

------------------

< All gave some, some gave ALL>

Owner of MiNa's CMBO Page

http://www.combat-mission.com

Fear in the Fog

These Hills are ALIVE

These two literally had me on the edge of my seat. Fear in the Fog was the first one I played when I felt like I knew what I was doing. Man, what a battle. And These Hills are ALIVE - what can I say? Just an epic struggle that left me weak in the knees. I have yet to play a scenario that I didn't enjoy, but these two hold a special place in my book.

As far as operations go, I'm 4 battles into the revised Desobry, and am thoroughly enjoying it. Great job, Wild Bill and all the other scenario designers!

Nathman, Thanks for the word of praise. I did not think it would be fair to those that fought in the Huertgen Forest to just cover it in trees. I made it as tough as I could for both sides. I am glad you enjoyed "These Hills are Alive."

I too will not vote since I design scenarios too.

[This message has been edited by GonzoAttacker (edited 09-24-2000).]

I may be behind the curve here as I haven't tried any user-made scenarios yet but from the scenarios on the CD my favorites would include:

SPOILERS

'All or Nothing' by KwazyDog - I'll probably never forget the first bridge crossing where I blitzed across under smoke cover with tanks and trucks loaded with infantry. Once across I watch the Humbar go down triggering a German ambush then the Crocodile stumble upon the rest of German platoon. The Germans fire a shreck and flamer at the Croc, missing, who reverses away but fires a flame burst itself which routs the Germans into my dismounting infantry. A potential disaster becomes a moment of sweet triumph smile.gif

'Elsdorf' by WBW - I played the original and the much debated arrival of the Tigers actually saved my bacon as the US were just entering the village in force at that moment. The highlight though was seeing a MkIV score a side turret penetration of a Pershing at 600+m smile.gif

'Singling Shootout' by Terry Simo - Nothing compares to hearing the lamentations of your opponent when the real ace in your hand turned out not to be the Panthers but a hulldown Stug who KO's seven Shermans, lol.

'L'Elle Crossing' by Moon - Excellent infantry action and very difficult I found playing as the US.

'South of Sword' by WBW - Excellent combined arms scenario I thought. I bitterly learned to associate my MkIVs with tin cans whenever they engaged the British Stuarts frown.gif

'Carentan Operation' - Discovered artillery really is the King of the battlefield and the Germans have nowhere to hide! It can get quite large at some points but maneuvering and utilizing such a force seems to require a different mindset from scenarios, something which I enjoyed.

'Chance Encounter' - I had to include it for old times sake, it got a lengthy workout with the Beta and Gold Demos and generated many fond pbem games smile.gif

Guest Rommel22

I am voting for my own scnerios, hehe haha.

Train yard, and Airfield.

2nd and 3rd scenrios I ever made.

Hell, I like the scenerios I make so what the hell, I'll give my self all the credit I deserve. Which I do!!!!

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

Well, I'm finishing an 'educational' Far From Over: Paderborn right now as the allies on a PBEM.

I learned the hard way that Shermans don't kill King tiger's straight on.

I still have some chance of wining but I only have 7 shermans, two jacksons, vs 4 King Tigers and 3 or 4 assorted anti-air stuff.

It's a solid PBEM scenario, lots of good tank fighting

The other scenario I played against the computer is Yeager's Farm, which is a solid one to play against the Germans.

Nijmegen (you were close, Pathfinder biggrin.gif ) is a toughie! I love the feeling you get as you take those old canvas boats across the Waal River.

Chambois is bloody, just plain bloody, at best.

Paderborn is another favorite of mine. The initial sight of those King Tigers is indeed "gut grabbing," and the fun is just beginning rolleyes.gif .

Thanks fellas...

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

Hrm...

As I have posted elsewhere, Chambois is quite interesting. Glad to read that WBW thinks it is "bloody". Playing the Poles and getting all your armor and vehicles knocked out 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through is plain nasty. Actually, the first time I played it, I had most of my armor knocked out by turn 4. Ugh...

I enjoyed Walk in Paris for what it taught me about street fighting. It prepared me for Aachen which I preferred over W in P.

All or Nothing was fun because you went from feeling harried and helpless to being kick-butt strong. With the new tanks and supplies coming in at key moments. I also dropped an arty shell on a Tiger, you gotta love that! smile.gif It was the Crack arty spotter that did it, bless his eagle-eyes!

I have not worked too far through the CD. I am a relative newbie at the game. But, those are my choices.

L8r,

Em

Hey Wild Bill,just finished "A second Job-Vossenack"..Great Fun..I chose the Axis and whooped the Americans good.(82-14,275 American casualties !)I thought it would be harder,since the Americans won historically, but I guess my strategy worked.

*******Spoiler*************

********Spoiler****************************

Get to the center and prepare defenses before they do.The AI is always a little slow in this phase of the game.I set up viscious crossfire zones and used the MG's from the high buildings and the HQ as the mortars eyes..I also ran the Panther along the right flank and he caught 3 Shermans from the side..Then the Stug moved into the courtyard and got the last one in the rear.........................Great fun.. smile.gif

------------------

"If Patton were alive today,he'd play Combat Mission."

I'm playing Vossenack now, and it doesn't look too good for me! I played very well winning Fear in the Fog, and I carried over to my next scenario being too cocky. That'll teach me.

Anyway, one of my favorites has to be Le Leroy - A hard stand. I still can't get over the move a pesky Allied tanker put on me to circle around me for a shot at my rear. That still amazes me when I think about it.

"I learned the hard way that Shermans don't kill King tiger's straight on."

OK, I don't want to sound like a 'know it all' or some sort of jerk, but did you truly have to learn this the hard way? This is common knowledge even among the less experienced wargamers.

You never know for sure till you try biggrin.gif

Nothing like personal experience to underline the truth, Pak eek.gif. It leaves a bitter, yet savory taste in one's mouth as he says, "Well, looks like they were right."

rolleyes.gif

On the other hand, if you swallow everything that is told you, you could end up with a barracuda in your belly rolleyes.gif

All this is in humor and no offense intended, in case someone is stoking a fire somewhere.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

WBW-

Reminds me of playing Chance Encounter last night. I was playing the Axis forces. Towards the end of the conflict, mop up. Anyway, I had a platoon leader with his two SMG squads directed to charge from the church over to the Allies hidden in the scattered trees to the left. Well, it was a very brash and stupid move. The Allies at that point had not gotten the word that their butts were getting kicked elsewhere. So, they put down some determined fire that Broke one squad and Pinned the leader. Thankfully, the turn ended. I then set the remaining Alerted squad to fall back and hide. I click, "Go" and watch as they come under fire. There goes the platoon leader, running away from his men. Then, I watch in horror as my remaining healthy squad begins to run toward the Allies. I am thinking, "you idiots, what the heck are you doing!?" They then stop within 10 meters of the main rifle squad and proceed to make mincemeat of them. I guess they were fanatical troops, Green BTW. The next turn, they take out a MMG nest. It was definitely one of those (small-scale) epic moments.

L8r,

Em