The joys of lurking

REVS

I've been doing some serious 'lurking' here lately enjoying hugely the spectacle of people such as Redwolf and Panzer Leader doing intellectual battle with Administrator Steve and his eternal battle with patience. It has been a great public service, lads, and your bruises have been for the common good. Well done.

If you haven't been reading the forums lately, do a search and for Redwolf's twin-thread pummelling about "monster" tanks. Learned a lot about the way AFVs work and think in CMBB from that one. And do a search for Panzer Leader complaining about troops tiring too much. Learned a lot about CMBB infantry moving in that one.

From a CMBB learner's point of view, these threads have been as entertaining as they have been informative, although for the participants I expect they were also just a wee bit tiring.

Back in my student days we were made aware of such a thing as 'Socratic dialogue' a method of teaching made famous by the Greek philosopher Socrates, where a pupil gets intellectually pummelled to a pulp by his teacher, through asking questions, sometimes even challenging fundamental principles of belief.

It's always very informative, as the pupils bravely ask the kinds of questions we lurkers are too chicken to ask, and the teacher explains himself in great detail. We, the spectators/lurkers, learn much from this exchange. (I've just finished reading a biography of Galileo, and he published many of his theories in the form of a dialogue between disagreeing parties, so this method of teaching has a long and noble history.)

Anyway, I thought I'd just post my appreciation of the worth of these threads. It's been one helluva knock em down, drag em out Socratic dialogue, worthy of a wargame site.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Don't go mistaking Socratic for Sarcastic (no doubt named for Socrate's shrewish wife Sarcasta :D )

Are you sure that wasn't Intercontinentia Buttocks? Whoops! ...she was married to Biggus Dickus. Never mind Centurion, I'll throw myself to the floor.