"Why not do a search?"

I just want to throw out a reminder:

I see the "do a search" suggestion quite a bit, and I think it's seldom as easy as it sounds. There's several hundred thousand CM posts, spread over (AFAIK) 7 searchable archives. If your question revolves around frequently used words a search completely impracticle. It's _far_ easier to ask and hope someone points you in the right direction. Maybe with thread links, or suggested search terms, or a member # to search under. Or just an answer to the question.

I'm new to the forum, and have been using the search function rather than ask questions. I happen to have both the time and the interest to wade through tens of threads looking for an answer. It does, however, often take literally hours to find those answers - when I find them at all. (Sometimes the ol' "trying to prove a negative" problem crops up.) And that's with a so-called "broadband" connection. I don't think I'd have the time for the searches if I had a phone-modem, or had to search during high-traffic times.

I don't remember seeing a thread where the _only_ response to a question was "Do a search." So maybe the point of this post is simply: If you're going to suggest a search without giving a few good clues as to how to proceed, don't bother. Someone else will, and you'll have a smidgen more time for other things, eh? Well, that, and lower the frustration/irritation level of anyone you're handing a Herculean task.

The search function can be exasperating, particularly if you don't have very specific keywords in mind. However, a large number of the questions that garner "Do a Search" responses are ones that have been discussed pretty recently, with answers that could be found simply by scanning the topics on the first few pages of the board.

And there's always the FAQ:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022118

one really good hint for a search is to identify and specify a member number.

If you have a topic or issue or something you want more info on the chances are VERY good that there are one or people on this aboard who are widely known to have paticitipated in that discussion on that issue. I mean it is not the same folks all the time just that some folks here (myself included smile.gif ) have some "pet" issues and so my member number is 1515 if you want to look up LOS, Terrain FOW, Gunnery optics and accuracy, or Relative Spotting, just type in 1515 and a few key words (see above).

This will speed up your search a great deal.

Schrullenhaft (#909) remembers JUST about everthing, (i.e. Who said what about this or that) and he posts in the Tech Support forum usually.

If you can find out the member number who, in the past, have been interested in, or posted on, your issue or question, then using that member number to limit your search will really help a great deal.

Good Luck

-tom w

[ May 29, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]