scenario expansion pack - feasible?

I would love to see BTS come out with an expansion pack CD with all the user created scenarios and all of the mods. Is that something for BTS to consider or am I crazy? My internet service is lousy at best, so I don't have much luck in downloading the mods. Also, it would be nice to have a CD with all that stuff on it when the time comes to upgrade computers. I'd be willing to part with a 20 dollar bill for such a CD. Thoughts? Comments? (BTS, have you any ideas on this?)

How about including an enhanced map editor that would let you "cut" chunks from maps to be saved as "library" sections that could then be "included" in other maps? Map section rotation would be good too! Oh, Oh, and an adjacent gradient smoothing algorithm!

Ah, I better stop here, I'm gettin' all emotional... eek.gif

groundpounder

Sounds like a wicked idea. I only have internet access at work and so cannot really get any of these mods and updates too easily to my home computer. Some tutorials and peoples experience on creating and organising decent scenarios and modifing BMP files would also be good. I too would be willing to part, in my case, with £13 for such a collection of goodies

Pete

Wild Bill, I like the way you think! The way I look at it, it's going to be a long time before Joe consumer will be able to order CM2, and by releasing a CD with stuff that's already out there, BTS can throw us all a bone that will keep their customers involved and at the same time raise some more revenue. Speaking from personal experience, whenever I am seriously hooked on a game (Civ II, Falcon 4, Combat Mission), I'll buy anything that comes along to supplement the original game.

Will Bill, your idea of adding some new operations is an excellent idea, along with the other ones included on this thread.

Individuals such as myself with limited (or at times nonexistent) internet service are perhaps more numerous than is widely percieved.

Now, I'm not sure BTS would want to commit to something like this based on a single thread in a forum, but maybe Wild Bill, with your clout and standing with BTS, you could bring it to their attention and toss the idea around. Thanks.

Guest MantaRay

I for one am all for it. I would support this wholeheartedly. I would also maybe like some new textures, like beach tiles, to be included also. For this I would pay another $25 easy. I dont even think that it would interfere that much with CM2 and its production since there are quite a few more ppl involved now. :P

Ray

Guest Silesian-jaeger

Count me and my $30 in! Don't forget to throw in the mods!

------------------

"In one (German) town, Private Honey stood next to an

elderly German man and a ten-year-old boy. As the Shermans and brand-new

Pershings rumbled by the boy said,'Deutsches Panzer lind besser.' Honey

looked down at him and asked,'If

German tanks are better,

why aren't they here?' "

quote from Stephen E. Ambrose, "Citizen Soldiers"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by groundpounder:

How about including an enhanced map editor that would let you "cut" chunks from maps to be saved as "library" sections that could then be "included" in other maps? Map section rotation would be good too! Oh, Oh, and an adjacent gradient smoothing algorithm!

Ah, I better stop here, I'm gettin' all emotional... eek.gif

groundpounder<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can do this very thing now GP,with a little ingenuity on your part.At least you can save sections of map as new maps and then build from those.

Dick biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea, an expansion pack. I have home internet access, but I don't use it very much (Having a wife, child and life doesn't give me much phone line use). Perhaps BTS could include a nice list of good CM websites as well?

Has anyone notives the prices bidding up on this thread? The first dollar amount I saw was 20, then 25, then 13 pounds, then 30 dollars. Personally, I'd go 25, but we'll see if it actually happens first.

Also, on the same CD they could have 2 zip files, one with graphics mods and the other with sound mods. They could be officially endorsed (accepted) by Battlefront, and they would automatically install themselves in the right place. The two zips would essentially be collections of the best mods out there.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Perhaps BTS could include a nice list of good CM websites as well?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there's only one site for mods IMHO, and that's Combat Mission Headquarters.

Well I've got about 90 Megabytes worth of mods. Basically I check at least once a week for new mods at

Combat Mission Headquarters

The only gripe I have is that they don't just zip up every file they have (wav's and bmp's) so I can have one big mod file.

So what I have done is take all of the interface, tanks, sound, music modes, the best rated scenarios and smoosh them into one big install file, burn them onto CD's and give to my friends.

I'm not really thrilled with Combat Mission Headquarters scenario downloading script. It's rather slow, I'd rather them post the scenarios on a normal web page so that it will take like 3 seconds to download them rather than 3 minutes to load the page.

Another great place to download stuff is from http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm This place has the unit database viewer, which is a nice spreadsheet with pictures and stats on every tank, troop, etc in the game.

db_interactive11.gif

Before this expansion CD is released, I want those photorealistic mods to be finished...

[This message has been edited by Sparky9292 (edited 10-20-2000).]

I was pleasantly surprised to see this thread at the top of the forum. I'm glad that it's still on your agenda, Wild Bill - best of luck! I feel it's a no-brainer, but then I'm not privy to the many production details it would no doubt take for BTS to release something like this. The only thing I am confident of is that very few people who have CM would pass up an opportunity to buy this - even at $30!