Combat mission ranked 89 in PCgamer top 100

Originally posted by Marlow:

Looked at the list.

Feh says I. Look at some of the dogs on the list, and then look at what is missing. No Rogue Spear, no MOO, no SWOTL (it goes on).

Any list that puts Shogun at number 4 and CM at 89 ... well it speaks for itself.

SWOTL, yeah baby! That game kicked! And for some reason, no one remembers it.

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

SWOTL, yeah baby! That game kicked! And for some reason, no one remembers it.

I only played the earlier TFH, but once got to flip through the SWOTL manual. Pity.

But AOTP, AOE and EAW all gave me some great sim-play time later on.

SWOTL was, and still is, the yardstick by which I measure flight sims. The degree of fun and replayability was phenominal. Plus the variation in aircraft was terrific...DO-335, GO-229, ME 163, HE-162, and many more have yet to be reproduced in any game since. ...and who can forget the cute little code wheel? IL-2 comes close, if not for the tedious load times.

Originally posted by Admiral Keth:

SWOTL was, and still is, the yardstick by which I measure flight sims. The degree of fun and replayability was phenominal. Plus the variation in aircraft was terrific...DO-335, GO-229, ME 163, HE-162, and many more have yet to be reproduced in any game since. ...and who can forget the cute little code wheel? IL-2 comes close, if not for the tedious load times.

I took a bunch of data out of MIGHTY EIGHTH WAR DIARY and made my own campaign game for B-17 squadrons. The great thing about SWOTL was using mission builder to make random scenarios - I had like 30 pages of paper rules, with missions and resistance calculated by die roll, then built into the mission builder. I calculated the chances of different types of missions for each month (NOBALL, etc.) and the number of times actual targets were hit, and came up with a pretty realistic set of rules for generating missions, plus random chances of aborts due to mechanical failure, crash on takeoff, etc. It wasn't like the campaign game that came with SWOTL, where you try and win the war - this one was about having 8 crews survive 25 missions. It was great in that you could name all the pilots and watch them advance in score, rank and experience - and really tough when you drew that mission to Schweinfurt and got no air support, and saw 5 of the 6 planes in your squadron go down.

Compared to those stinkers Microprose put out regarding B-17s, SWOTL was terrific. I would buy an updated version even if the graphics weren't improved one iota - but it would let you have say 50 planes in the sky at once; you could fight a whole bomb group through the war.

Posted by Spook:

I was more surprised of the higher rankings given to "Lemmings" and "Hidden & Dangerous".....

Hidden and Dangerous was listed at number 31, it could have been much higher if not for the bugs. Personally i loved it, because beneath the irritation of incomplete testing it had so much going for it. Excellent atmosphere, terrific mission design, great sound effects and graphics.

H&D 2 will hopefully be a cracker when it is released later this year. I will certainly get it along with CMBB.

Below is the reviewers opinion which i thought was quite accurate.

H&D might have been as bugged as an anthill on its release, but it took an impossible man to deny its design genius. Set in WWII you took control of a team of allied Special Forces - SAS men with a mean disposition and a multitude of dangerous assignments. From the heroic sweep of the opening orchestral tones of the title screens, to crawling through a marsh to escape the Nazis - each moment was a mixture of joy and tooth-grinding tension. Perfect mission design and visionary sniping tactics - even if you did occasionally fall through the floor, or float weightlessly into the skies over wartorn Europe. Bless.

Hidden & Dangerous 2 website

CDIC

[ February 08, 2002, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Captitalistdoginchina ]

SWOTL is (for me) the best flight simulator ever made. Not in terms of graphics or sim flight accuracy, but in terms of PLAYABILITY.

The mission generator was simply great. And the simplicity to give flight orders to any in-flight plane was otustanding.

I pray for a revision of SWOTL by Lucasarts with enhanced graphics and (why not!) more planes. A dogfight with a Junkers EF-128 against a Gloster Meteor ... Oh, man!

Speaking about the PCGamer classification, I think that HL in the first place is a good decision. It has a revolutionary game engine and only for this reason worth that place (despite its other capabilities).

But, a classification like this is (my opinion) a mistake. Different genres need different classifications. HL as the best 3D Shoot Them Up, AOE II as the best Real Time Strategie and ... Combat Mission as the best Wargame. ;)

Sorry, but I think that list must have been composed by some "twenty-somethings." Some of us actually played cpu games in the 80s smile.gif . I absolutely loved the original Harpoon which I guess was an acquired taste. Oh well, maybe we should put together our own "all-time" best list since their is such a large diversity of age groups here. smile.gif

Originally posted by rucrazee:

Sorry, but I think that list must have been composed by some "twenty-somethings." Some of us actually played cpu games in the 80s smile.gif . I absolutely loved the original Harpoon which I guess was an acquired taste. Oh well, maybe we should put together our own "all-time" best list since their is such a large diversity of age groups here. smile.gif

They did include Nethack, which had been around for quite a while. I didn't go through the whole list to see if any of the original Ultimas were there or whether the orginal (and still good) text based "Adventure". Now that was a great game.

As for lists, they're all bunk no matter who makes them, or even if you agree. Make your own top ten list if you want. It will have just as much validity as theirs.

Pete